Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cant boot from CD "disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter"

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ultrahan 
#1 ·
Ok. I will list every detail of the problem and of my trials to solve it so that you could have as clear an idea as possible. Thanks in advance. I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THIS PROBLEM FOR HOURS SO IT WOULD BE GREAAAAAAATLY APPRECIATED if anybody could help me out!

I was trying to install Ubuntu, so need to boot from CD ( i know i can do that directly in windows using wubi, but that's not what I want to do. I am just trying to boot from CD and install Ubuntu on an allocation of memory i had set free for it.). I set the boot sequence to be 1.CD-ROM 2.Hard-disk 3.Removable. However, even under this settings my computer still directly goes to Windows. *:I do notice the CD-drive working at the beginning of the start-up, but then Windows comes out eventually *
So I figured the problem might be the system did try to boot from CD but failed, so it then boots from harddisk and found Windows. Therefore I went into BIOS and set all 3 booting devices to be CD-ROM, then restarted. Now I have this error message : disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter.

The CD is good, because i tried to boot my laptop from it and it works well.

I tried to upgrade my BIOS but couldn't because the system showed the same message when i tried to boot from the BIOS flash disk.

5. I built this desktop from scratch up, and when I first tried to install an OS to it, I used a CD and it booted well.. which is about 6 months ago. I never tried to boot it from CD since then. I installed windows 7 RC at that time, and all I have done since then is to install a windows 7 RTM. I did that in the previous windows OS, so didn't boot from CD again.

6. The CD drive is good, it works perfectly in windows 7.

That's all i have for now.. could anybody help me plz!!

See less See more
#2 ·
After reading through step 4 above, I don't need to go further.

Some optical drives fail in such a way as to work fine reading a disk in Windows but will not boot from a bootable disk. Replace the optical drive with a known-good one you may have access to and see what happens.

#3 ·
After reading through step 4 above, I don't need to go further.

Some optical drives fail in such a way as to work fine reading a disk in Windows but will not boot from a bootable disk. Replace the optical drive with a known-good one you may have access to and see what happens.
Yeah I will try it. actually this really might be the problem since the cd drive is the cheapest part in my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.