1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant boot from cd rom to repair XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by OneHitWonder, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OneHitWonder

OneHitWonder Thread Starter

I recently switched my Motherboard and processor from AMD to Pentium.(well not the MB of course) Heres the problem, I'm trying to boot with my XP pro disk so i can repair XP because its not functioning properly. I went to my Bios and switched it so it would boot first floppy then cd rom then hard drive. Well when i restart it shows two lines that say "boot from cd" but it doesnt boot the disk :confused: , instead it goes to that "were sorry for the inconveniance crap" and gives me the 3 safe mode options and to start normally or most recent settings that worked. None of those options work so i definitely have to get to the xp repair part. Thing is i dont know what im doin wrong. Unless for some reason the cd rom isnt reading the disk. All i want is for that precious big blue xp screen to pop up, instead all i get is the black screen with the 5 options that dont help.

Plz someone help me with my problem maybe its something obvious i dont see.

2. rude

rude

"boot first floppy then cd rom then hard drive"?Try boot from cd first

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can start setup from a single Win98/ME startup disk. Then, you use D:\i386\winnt.exe to start setup (adjusting the drive letter to match your CD-ROM).

But it is a good idea to get one that loads smartdrv.exe in the autoexec.bat so that a disk cache is created. Otherwise, the DOS portion of setup runs very slowly.

This WinImage executable creates such a disk:

http://www.freepctech.com/files/wxpboot.exe

(It also contains some extras, like aefdisk, xxcopy, delpart, and zerofill.)

Start XP setup from the floppy and after agreeing to the license by pressing F8, choose your OS to repair.

4. OneHitWonder

OneHitWonder Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses. I figured it out, kinda stupid of me. Turns out the version of XP i was using was just the upgrade version of XP and not the full thing, so thats why it didnt bring up the XP setup screen. Friend pointed it out.

Problem solved. Once again thx

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

The upgrade version and the full version are identical except that you need to prove you had an earlier qualifying product by inserting the CD from your former OS.

You can still do a full installation on a clean drive with the upgrade version.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223600

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice