1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't boot from CD-RW drive anymore

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cutie_pyie, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cutie_pyie

cutie_pyie Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have a Dell 8100 PC running Windows XP Pro/Sp2 with a internal IDE Benq CD-RW drive as the 2nd device on the cable. The 1st device is a Pioneer DVD-RW writer.

I can read CDs okay from the CD-RW drive but all of a sudden I can NOT use the CD-RW drive to boot up system! Last time I tried was probably 3-4 months ago.

I go to boot menu as system is starting to boot up and select IDE CD-ROM Device -- system Beeps twice then it says:
    "Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility". I hit F1 -- same thing!

Drive is listed as okay in device manager.

I have double checked devices in BIOS, all is okay. Even set CD drive as first boot device there, but after saving setup and rebooting - system still boots from HDD with a bootable CD in drive! Even tried a Ubuntu live CD and same thing happens.

Does anyone have any idea what problem might be and the resolution:confused:

Thank you very much!
    Sincerely,
    Cin

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Check the CD is clean and have you tried it in another PC to see if it works

3. lefty1953

lefty1953

So it is set as slave to the Second Master? Have you tried booting from the other drive?

4. cutie_pyie

bonk,
    Yes - CD is clean, have tried 4 different boot CDs, same result!
    Any other ideas please??

CP

5. cutie_pyie

Lefty1953,

You the MAN!!!(y) (y) :)

It Works!!!
    I guess since the 1st device on the IDE cable (master) is the DVD-RW which is really a DVD-RW/CD-RW , (I had forgotten about that part cause I only use it for DVDs), the system recognizes it as the one and only CD drive in the BIOS setup boot menu.

Sometimes it's the little things that really mess you up!
    Who wuda thought -- 'cept YOU!:) (y)

CUDOS and many thanks!!!!

Sincerely,
    Cin

6. lefty1953

lefty1953

Your Welcome.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/550784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice