1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant boot from CD to reinstall

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by loconellsbel, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. loconellsbel

loconellsbel Thread Starter

Hi,
    I need to format my computer and reinstall XP but it wont boot from the CD.
    I tried just opening the CD and going to install, but got the message "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD"
    I have XP home version.
    Can you please help?
    Thanx
    Nell

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Can you configure your computer to boot from the CD first?

3. loconellsbel

thanx for your reply.
    not sure what you mean, sorry.
    how would i do that?

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You need to get to the computer's CMOS. You do this before the computer starts to boot by pressing something like the Del or F2 key. Then you have various menus to choose for various settings. I generally recommend leaving most alone. Just see if there is one where you can change the boot sequence, putting the CD ROM before the Hard Drive.

5. doggard

doggard

The message would suggest your CD does not contain the same version of windows that is installed on your PC.Did the install CD come as part of the package or is it something you purchased later?

6. loconellsbel

The XP I have came with the computer I bought 2 years ago. I still have the same computer.
    I wondered if it had anything to do with the windows updates done over the past 2 years, especially SP2?
    Ive contacted Microsoft about this problem but still waiting for a reply.
    Thanx for your help on this guys.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I'm not sure how a service pack would have caused you be unable to boot to your XP CD.

Since you likely didn't create a slipstreamed SP2 CD or source files, you can't downgrade an OS like that.

So it's back finding a solution to the original problem of not being able to boot from your XP CD.

What have you tried so far in regards to this.

8. doggard

doggard

If you open system properties does it actually say Home Edition?
    When you insert the CD from within windows what does it show as the installing operating system?
    Is this a propriotory system like Dell,Time etc?

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you upgraded to SP2, and try to reinstall from within XP an earlier version, you will get the exact error message you are getting. That is why you need to be able to boot to the CD and do a repair install as detailed earlier. You can always put SP2 back on afterwards.

10. Crack

Crack

Bob is right. I read that uninstalling SP2 worked for some people. But if it doesn't work, you will have to do a whole bunch of things to slipstream a disk with the XP files and the new SP2 files. Sounded kind of complicated.

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That's why I just recommend doing a repair install. Everything else is too complicated.

12. loconellsbel

Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2 is what it says.
    Thanx guys, ill start by removing SP2 and see if that works first?
    Do I get rid of that from add/remove?

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Given your very first line "I need to format my computer and reinstall XP", I'm not sure how you are going to be able to do this by simply removing SP2.

If you want to format your drive there are a couple of ways to do this:

1. If you have FAT32, you could format the drive from DOS. Then install from either the CD or copy the files from the CD to a directory on the drive and install from that directory.

2. If you have NTFS and want to keep it, then you can either boot to the CD or six boot floppies and install XP from there.

But a reinstall won't format your drive, otherwise it wouldn't be a reinstall. In fact the repair option wouldn't do that either.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice