Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't boot from CD

845 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
Hello,
I am trying to boot from my windows xp cd to reformat my laptop. I did the obvious, going into the bios and setting cd drive to first boot priority. Start up the laptop, only to have it boot straight into windows. I have tried pressing esc to get into the boot menu and the only thing that is listed is "notebook hard drive". My laptop is a compaq presario v3000. Also notable: the cd drive starts spinning and DOES show up on bios.
Thanks

P.S I wasn't exactly sure where this should be posted so I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum.

#3 ·
Go back into your Bios and check that you saved the settings you made to get the PC to boot from the CD drive 1st.

If it is set correctly set then this can only be a faulty CD drive or the disc is damaged.

Assuming you can still boot to the desktop, put the XP disc in the drive and see if it boots up, listen to the CD drive to hear if it is trying to read the disc.

Try another CD in the drive, a music CD for example, to check that the drive is reading. If it will read a disc ok then it is most probably an error on the XP disc.

You could also try booting another PC with the XP disc.

You should be able to figure out from this if it is the drive or the CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.