1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't boot from floppy drive!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cshajkur, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cshajkur

cshajkur Thread Starter

The computer recognizes the floppy drive and all of the functions work fine, however will not boot from the floppy drive. I checked the Bios settings and the first boot drive is the CD Rom, second boot device is removeable devices and the third boot device is the hard drive. I did not change the setting in the bios. Should the floppy be the first boot device? If so would it be under the heading of removeable devices in the bios settings?

I running Win98SE on a 400Mhz,PII,384MB Ram,SBPCI 64v,56k modem, with 5 drive incl the floppy and hard drive.

2. Monk_

Monk_

Yes, make the removeable device the first boot option. Also be sure you are trying to boot to a floppy system disk.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi cshajkur, welcome to TSG.

The floppy drive should have its own selection.....it may say A: drive as well.....the floppy shouldn't be under removeable devices.

4. cshajkur

cshajkur Thread Starter

Thank you for the acknowledgement.

Just to be sure I rechecked the Bios and this is the boot device order: First: ATAPI CD-ROM Drive, Second: Removable Devices, Third: Hard Drive, Fourth: Network Boot. It soesn't seem to provide a unique callout for the floppy drive in the Bios menu. I never changed the bios settings, however I did update the Bios earlier this year. This is around the time it stop working.
    I'm pretty sure its not the floppy drive because otherwise works great in every other function. I have a Pheonix 4M4PBOX1,Ver 6.0,P21 Bios if that helps.

My next question would be how to add the floppy drive to the Bios menu, if such a thing could be done. If not, would reflashing the Bios correct itself? I can do this, if instructions are provided. I am a technical person but not in computers. All suggestions are welcomed.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You may have to use the up and down arrow key and maybe the enter key to change it from one to another.......get the first one highlighted by moving ontop of it.....then look at the instructions either above, below or beside it......maybe the + / - keys.........there has to be a way to change it.....at least I would think so..........

6. Marturo

Marturo Guest

I have been working on a Computer lately that you arrow down to where you want to make a change in your Bios then, you use the page up key, right next to the Home key to make changes on what is hilighted. On my other Computers I use the enter key. My settings are A,C,SCSI also make sure that where it says Boot up Floppy seek, that this is enabled. I was wondering about this, so I changed my boot order, then went back to, load Bios Defaults and when I typed in Y for yes pressed enter then went to the save settings and exit and used Y for yes. I then came back to the Bios to look and it had changed back to A,C,SCSI just what I wanted. I don't know if this will happen for you, but I bet most peoples computers default is at least A,C,something. As long as you have A & C first and second it might not matter what the #3 spot says. You do want to boot from your A: Drive first don't you? I Hope that this helps you get it working right. Marturo

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64977

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice