1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't boot from SSD attached to PCIe SATA card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kjjb0204, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kjjb0204

kjjb0204 Thread Starter

So I upgraded my older Lenovo A55 series 8705 machine to a Samsung 840 series SSD and it boots just fine and runs perfectly if connected to the mb sata connector. Problem is that it's an older machine and the SATA ports are first version, so max transfer speeds are 1.5Gb/s. The drive is the newest SATA III capable of 6Gb/s. I bought a PCIe x1 card and its installed and visible with proper drivers in Device Manager. I want to connect the SSD to this PCIe card to maximize the SATA III speeds but when I connect that way, the system does not even see the SSD. In BIOS, I moved PCI SCSI to the available boot devices, but the SSD is not showing at all. When the SSD is connected directly to the SATA I port on the mb, it sees it perfectly in BIOS and is set to the #1 boot device in both Primary and Auto.

How can I get this to boot when the SSD is connected to the PCIe card? I already see massive speed improvement over my old Seagate 7200rpm HDD and I'm pretty happy as-is, but I really want to see what it can do attached to a SATA III port.

Thanks in advance!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, this tells us next to nothing other than you have a card. Post the exact card you installed. Next no one knows what os you are running ie winxp, win7, linux, etc. Without the above info, it is difficult or impossible to help you.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you are using an add-in controller than of course the BIOS won't see the drive. To boot from it, the controller card must support booting from it, and the BIOS must allow booting from add-on cards or Other Devices.

4. kjjb0204

kjjb0204 Thread Starter

Definitely didn't even think to see if boot was supported. It's SY-PEX40039 from IO Crest, via Amazon. Running win7 Ultimate.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's supposedly bootable, but from the reviews it seems pretty terrible and offers performance similar to SATA 3Gb/s.

Have you tried installing Windows onto the drive connected to it and seeing if its boots? Have you check the BIOS to see if has an option to boot add-in cards or other devices? Or just disable or disconnect the other hard drives and see if it boots once Windows is installed on the SSD.

6. kjjb0204

kjjb0204 Thread Starter

Thank you very much for looking into it!

Yeah, I might need to invest in a better card. I took the ssd that already boots perfectly when connected directly to the mb SATA I port and connected to the card. BIOS didn't see it at all. The card does work though, because I can connect my SATA DVDRW to it and it works just fine. In BIOS, it doesn't seem to show any device attached at all, whether it's the DVDRW or the SSD.

Of course, I'm happy with the increased performance just from the SSD connected to the SATA I port on the motherboard anyhow, but if I can get better speed with a controller card, I'd like to make it work. I can probably spend up to $75 for a better card - does anyone have any recommendations in that price range? There's always the matter that because it's an older system, would I ever even get close to the drive's theoretical maximum of 500MB/s? What I mean is that the drive performance test showed it transferring around 200MB/s, and given that SATA I is still capable of 1.5Gb/s, would a SATA III card even bump the speed? This is my first foray into SSD and SATA stuff, so if I'm talking nonsense, please help me understand how to maximize the performance of this new SSD SATA III drive on my older ThinkCentre.

Thanks so much!

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    SATA I or 1.5Gb/s = 150MB/s
    SATA II or 3Gb/s = 300MB/s
    SATA II or 6Gb/s = 600MB/s

SATA 1.5Gb/s definitely is limiting the SSD's potential.

The BIOS will never see any drive connected to an external controller except for some specific cases. I wouldn't worry about that, thats perfectly normal. Have you tried booting the SSD with it connected to the controller card with all other drives in the computer disconnected? What are all the boot options given to you? Maybe take a picture and post it here.

8. kjjb0204

kjjb0204 Thread Starter

If I disconnect all drives except for the ssd when connected to the controller card, it gets to the 1962:no operating system found message. Weird thing is that it does show this extra screen just before the error message. It looks like the bios or startup screen for the card but I have no idea how to access any configuration menu. [​IMG]

9. Simba7

Simba7

Is there an option in the BIOS to boot from a secondary controller card?

10. kjjb0204

kjjb0204 Thread Starter

No, the options for boot when connected to the controller card are DVD, bunch of USB options, PCI BEV, PCI SCSI. I've added all of them to the boot choices and it still says no OS found. I need to figure out how to access the controller card bios.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I don't think the card has a user accessible BIOS, it doesn't support RAID so it really doesn't need one. It's the motherboard BIOS that may not be booting the card, the motherboard BIOS needs to know to look at add-on cards and boot them.

12. kjjb0204

kjjb0204 Thread Starter

I think the Lenovo bios might have that stuff locked down or disabled without any ability to change. It's really designed to be an enterprise business machine with lots of tight controls. I've decided at this point that I'm going to go ahead and build my own new pc, using a few of the parts I have currently. Basic ATX mini tower, intel core i5, intel board. Can do the whole thing for under $400 and the board has 3 SATA III ports, 4 usb 3.0 and all that jazz, so I'll get my ssd max performance and have a new system to boot. No pun intended..... :)

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well thats not a bad approach and should be a nice improvement all around.

14. kjjb0204

kjjb0204 Thread Starter

Got everything for about $425. i5, gigabyte mobo, 8gb corsair ram, corsair case, cooler master power supply. Already have everything else to put in it.....Can't wait to put it together.

15. Simba7

Simba7

Not bad. Let us know how it turns out.

..although you could've saved some money on the Corsair. I've been running Patriot and G.Skill memory for years (HTPC going on 4) without issues. I am curious on which power supply you purchased, though.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice