1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't boot HDD and CD-ROM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hynesy, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hynesy

hynesy Thread Starter

I just recently reformatted my hrad disk. For some reason after I reinstalled windows and installed SP2 my computer wouldnt boot. I had to switch my primary hard drive with my secondary hard drive and install windows on there and all was good, i was copying some large files so i went to watch tele while i was waiting then when i came out i had a different message as above but occuring at the same time, jsut when the operating system takes over. This time the error was Operating System Error or something similar. The reason I posted in here is i recently change my computer case and my CPU temps are reading in BIOS as 65-68 C, my processor is a pentium 4 3.00ghz Prescott. Could this have something to do with my processor or jsut some freak coincidence.

P.S. I cant get accurate reading for my CPU, when i start the everest it says 40c but in speedfan it says 53-59 c and BIOS says 65-67 c. It cant be the hard drives, one is only 1 month old, the other is two days old.ive tried switching them so that both were tried as primary and seconary but the same thing happened both times. "**** Read Error", what even more troubling is I can't boot from CD now, but i could before. When I whiched HDD, windows did a disk check on the one previously Primary drive but now secondary and recovered all the lost and corrupt data.
    With pwoer I got a 400W psu. my system is
    Pentium 4 3.00ghz
    nvidia NX 6600GT
    512mb DDR RAM
    2 x 160gb western digital HDD
    Creative sound augiy 24 bit
    DVD-R

cheers
    hynesy

2. qldit

qldit

Good Evening hynesy, actually your problem has the earmarks of the old Electrolytic Capacitor failing type thing.
    Check your M/B caps for swelling on their tops.
    See www.badcaps.net
    That is a start.
    I like the place you come from, it must be the best place in Australia!!
    Edit, the last time I did comparisons of reading between Speedfan and Everest the everest was more accurate.
    Cheers, qldit.

3. hynesy

hynesy Thread Starter

Amen to that qldit and also, thanks for the link and the info about speedfan and everest
    cheers
    hynesy

4. seekermeister

seekermeister

I have been having some problems that might be due to bad caps, I had not thought about it till reading this thread. I see some tilted caps, but if memory serves, I think that they were tilted when the mobo was new...I'm not sure. I don't see any swelling, but I do see some residue on the top of some of them. But according to the article, this is the wrong place, and might just be dirt. From reading, I guess there is no conclusive way to determine this...huh?

5. qldit

qldit

Good Morning Gentlemen, the problem major is generally the electrolytic capacitors in the 1800 to 2200 microfarad category. These are the larger ones on your board.

The dielectric substance used internally has decomposition problems and causes heat generation which subsequently generates internal physical pressure.
    This often resulted in exploding capacitors in the early days with conductive "shrapnel"material often causing further electrical failures.

To allay this problem the tops of the cans are imprinted with (usually a crossed) a stamped impression in the metal thus creating a weakened area.
    When pressure does buildup this area "bulges" and often ruptures thus releasing the pressure and simplifying and containing the failure.

Most often when this happens it is a slow process and will appear that corrosion or a yellowish deposit is apparent on the top of the capacitors.

When these kinds of problems begin there are myriad symptoms, from odd freezing, crashing, no boot, inability to load an operating system, system dead, and even sometimes
    strange hissing noises.

Because these capacitors are generally vital for maintaining clean DC power in various areas of the M/B, when they fail, various circuits can adversely interact and really produce exciting effects!

So if the tops of these series of capacitors is not entirely flat and clean, some concern should be had.

Often when the problem manifests moreso, other components on the M/B may be destroyed, this may include the processor and possibly even the power supply.

This problem is not contained to any specific board manufacturers.

So it pays to keep your eyes open when you examine any machine.

These capactiors can successfullly be replaced by a competent technical person provided that the problem is caught early.
    The general procedure is to scrap and replace the motherboard.

You have no idea how common this problem is!!

Quite often capacitors and other components may be tilted, if this is aparent it should be carefully examined to see if the capacitors may have been forced and the conductor connections into the bottom of the capacitor have any evidence of being ripped out.

This kind of problem sometimes happens in machines with limited space where a CDROM may be forcefully inserted and interfere with a poorly engineered board selection and mounting arrangement.

Even careless fitting of processor heatsinks or incorrect type can involve this problem. (Tilting!!)
    Others will have different ideas.
    Cheers, qldit.

6. hynesy

hynesy Thread Starter

thanks qldit, i got mine fixed:)
    P.S. did u watch the state or origin???
    cheers
    hynesy

7. qldit

qldit

Good Evening hynesy, really exciting stuff, I had to leave the TV room my blood pressure was getting too high!

How did you go with your processor temp?
    qldit.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice