1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't boot in safe mode or normal mode??? Need help fast.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ppls1000, May 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ppls1000

ppls1000 Thread Starter

Today after school I went into MSCONFIG and checked the box to go into safe mode so i could run some virus scans and adware scans and stuff like that. Now when it gets to the desktop it has the window that says Loading Windows and then after like 2-3 min. it says password is incorrect and that i should retype it and becarefull of caps lock and stuff like that. The thing is don't have a password. It does this when i boot normally too but it lets me hit ok and hit Cancel without a password entered. All of a sudden it tries logging me in automatically when I start up but the thing is i dont need to log in. So I try to go back into normal mode and I can't. I hit F8 during startup and went to the Boot Normally option but it still does to safe mode. What do I do? How do I log on or how do I get rid of this password thing? One more thing, the window that tells me the password is wrong has an OK box but theres no mouse on the screen for me to click it and I can't use the keyboard to select it.

If this doesn't make sense tell me. But I need help quick.

2. p8jx6

p8jx6

if you haven't logged in you can use the Last known good configuration in the advanced startup options, and that should do the trick.
    but becuase when you log on it saves the current configuration, as the "last known good" if you have ever logged in after the change in msconfig, then that option will do nothing for you, becuase then you will be stuck with the same problem.

3. ppls1000

ppls1000 Thread Starter

i thought about trying that but wasnt sure what it did. Ill try that and report what happens. I just wish someone could tell me how to boot into windows normally. There has to be a disk or something. I can't loose my computer.

4. p8jx6

p8jx6

doing the last know good config doesn't erase your programs it send it back the the last time you were able to log on, and did

5. ppls1000

ppls1000 Thread Starter

i tried that last know thing but it still came up the same way it always does. No matter what i do it always goes into safe mode. I need a way to not start in safe mode or a way to disable the auto login of the user on my computer.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have Home or Pro?

Though I'm not sure I completely understand the problem, it certainly doesn't appear at this point to be anything "fatal" in the sense that you will lose your PC or files.

Can you log in as Administrator? If you can, you might want to go to the User Accounts applet in the Control Panel and actually assign a password to the Administrator'a account if there isn't one. That will at least assure you access to your machine in that account while the other details are tied up.

But let us know how "Last Good" works first.

7. ppls1000

ppls1000 Thread Starter

The window im getting is called:

Logon Message

The system could not log you on. Make sure username and domain are correct, then type your password again. Letters in password must be typed using the correct case. Make sure Caps Lock is not accidently on.

Then it has an 'OK' button below that. And behind the Logon Message window there is the window that you type your username and password into. But my mouse and keyboard are like 'disabled' and I cant do anything.

8. ppls1000

ppls1000 Thread Starter

The last good didnt work. Im useing Win 2000 Pro. Theres not control panel option. I cant even log into windows. All i can go to is the Advanced Options 'F8' during start up and the BIOS thing in the very beginning 'Del' Unless theres another option during startup i dont know of. If there is tell me and i will try it.

9. p8jx6

p8jx6

you might need to go into the recovery console using you windows XP cd, and copy off the Boot.ini from the root of the C: to a floppy disk, and post it, so that we can determine if there is a setting in there that needs to be removed, but keep a bakup copy, but make note that, the file is a hidden system file, so you will need to go onto folder options, and allow that those types of files are visible in Explorer, if you need help with the recovery console click here

EDIT: this is the link for Win 2k here

10. ppls1000

ppls1000 Thread Starter

is this the same for 2000 Pro?
    edit: just saw your edit
    also i just wanna make sure that what im doing wont cause me to lose anything.

11. p8jx6

p8jx6

use the link in the Edit, or here
    for win 2k recovery console

12. p8jx6

p8jx6

your just going to be editing the boot configuration file, so no data loss

13. ppls1000

ppls1000 Thread Starter

I tried useing the recovery console thing and I used that link that you gave me but I still dont know what to do. Can someone tell me a step by step process or is there a website that explains it?

14. p8jx6

p8jx6

type this, with a floppy disk in the drive

copy c:\boot.ini a:\

and then

attrib -h -s a:\boot.ini

then post the file here

15. ppls1000

ppls1000 Thread Starter

When i do this it tells me access denied.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/359017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice