cant boot/install windows off disc.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

srt8charger

i have a custom computer build, working fine for a year and a half, system crashed while online. inserted windows XP system/boot disc, goes to mobo screen, goest to a blank screen. shows
... press any key to boot from cd...

then
... verifying/inspecting system components etc.....

then a blank screen, system wont do anything.

1.) i have an asus mobo, lite-on cd/dvd drive, phillips cd/dvd-rw drive (burn drive), 250 GB
WD hard drive, Nvidia geforce 8800 gts G-card.

2.) i made boot setup to go 1.) cd/dvd drive (lite-on) 2.) WD 250 GB HDD

3.) its a known good copy of windows XP home, installed on other comp.

question being, im wondering if i have a bad disc drive, or hard drive, or if its something else.

any input is greatly apreciated. ty

• Memory is a good place to start and often what gives out suddenly. You can run the tests from bootable CD's or floppies.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista and can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Your CD-ROM is probably fine if you got as far as you did, and the hard drive is the next thing to check after the memory. Some of these can also be run from bootable media:

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:

Manufacturer's Tests
Victoria for DOS
Victoria for Windows (Both versions of Victoria are among the best and most thorough tests available.)
HD Tune
CheckDisk 1.03 (Marks bad sectors as unusable.)
HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:

TachTech
BleepingComputer

srt8charger

i have 2 1 GB sticks of corsair ddr2 memory set in dual channel set-up, i took one stick out, tried to start up system, and nothing at all system didnt power up, re-installed and system was back to where i started at.

do i need to go into the mobo program and change memory setup before i remove each stick?? or does this state that my memory sticks are bad?

No need to to go into mobo program to test the RAM. Some motherboards require a single stick to be in a certain slot(s). Motherboard manual will help you out if that is necessary. You need to try each stick by itself. If it works with one and not the other then you've found your problem.

srt8charger

ok... scratch my previous post, re-ran memory test.

removed one stick of memory, system powers up, and brings me to the same place/ screen
as before.

switched procedure and removed the other memory stick and brings me back to the same
place/ screen as before.

now, either both sticks of memory are bad, which i find hard to believe, or i have an different
problem i.e. HD or an disc drive not reading the disc. grrr....

what should i do now.

srt8charger

well i subbed out the combo drive with a cd/dvd burner drive, providing that the burner drive
should still boot off the cd, i still have the same situation, same screen.

i have not yet replaced the CMOS battery yet,.... whats that battery actually do/power up?
why would it be a possible cause.

well.... shall i try another HD next?? grrrr.

CMOS is the battery on the motherboard that provides the Bios before you ever boot into the OS. They last about 3 years in most systems and some longer. Depending on the system is dependent upon what you see when they get weak or die. I won't say it's your fix but it's a possible cause.
You have to make sure it's replaced with the same voltage your running or you could have serious issues with the motherboard. If that doesn't work we just try something else. Jazz

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!