1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant boot/install windows off disc.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by srt8charger, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. srt8charger

srt8charger Thread Starter

i have a custom computer build, working fine for a year and a half, system crashed while online. inserted windows XP system/boot disc, goes to mobo screen, goest to a blank screen. shows
    ... press any key to boot from cd...

then
    ... verifying/inspecting system components etc.....

then a blank screen, system wont do anything.

1.) i have an asus mobo, lite-on cd/dvd drive, phillips cd/dvd-rw drive (burn drive), 250 GB
    WD hard drive, Nvidia geforce 8800 gts G-card.

2.) i made boot setup to go 1.) cd/dvd drive (lite-on) 2.) WD 250 GB HDD

3.) its a known good copy of windows XP home, installed on other comp.

question being, im wondering if i have a bad disc drive, or hard drive, or if its something else.

any input is greatly apreciated. ty

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

• Memory is a good place to start and often what gives out suddenly. You can run the tests from bootable CD's or floppies.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista and can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Your CD-ROM is probably fine if you got as far as you did, and the hard drive is the next thing to check after the memory. Some of these can also be run from bootable media:

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:

Manufacturer's Tests
    Victoria for DOS
    Victoria for Windows (Both versions of Victoria are among the best and most thorough tests available.)
    HD Tune
    CheckDisk 1.03 (Marks bad sectors as unusable.)
    HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
    MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
    Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:

TachTech
    BleepingComputer

3. srt8charger

i have 2 1 GB sticks of corsair ddr2 memory set in dual channel set-up, i took one stick out, tried to start up system, and nothing at all system didnt power up, re-installed and system was back to where i started at.

do i need to go into the mobo program and change memory setup before i remove each stick?? or does this state that my memory sticks are bad?

4. shinybeast

shinybeast

No need to to go into mobo program to test the RAM. Some motherboards require a single stick to be in a certain slot(s). Motherboard manual will help you out if that is necessary. You need to try each stick by itself. If it works with one and not the other then you've found your problem.

5. srt8charger

ok... scratch my previous post, re-ran memory test.

removed one stick of memory, system powers up, and brings me to the same place/ screen
    as before.

switched procedure and removed the other memory stick and brings me back to the same
    place/ screen as before.

now, either both sticks of memory are bad, which i find hard to believe, or i have an different
    problem i.e. HD or an disc drive not reading the disc. grrr....

what should i do now.

6. jazz3000

jazz3000

It sure could be the HD. It could also be the CMOS battery. Jazz

7. srt8charger

CMOS battery??? that little 3 volt round one on the mobo??

8. jazz3000

jazz3000

Yup. CMOS batteries die the same as anything else. Jazz

9. srt8charger

well i subbed out the combo drive with a cd/dvd burner drive, providing that the burner drive
    should still boot off the cd, i still have the same situation, same screen.

i have not yet replaced the CMOS battery yet,.... whats that battery actually do/power up?
    why would it be a possible cause.

well.... shall i try another HD next?? grrrr.

10. jazz3000

jazz3000

CMOS is the battery on the motherboard that provides the Bios before you ever boot into the OS. They last about 3 years in most systems and some longer. Depending on the system is dependent upon what you see when they get weak or die. I won't say it's your fix but it's a possible cause.
    You have to make sure it's replaced with the same voltage your running or you could have serious issues with the motherboard. If that doesn't work we just try something else. Jazz

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice