1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't boot into any OS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ThroatPunch, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ThroatPunch

ThroatPunch Thread Starter

I recently installed a new heat sink and fan. I had the stock one, and relplaced it with a zalman cnps7000 cu. the first time, the computer overheated i believe and restarted because i have overheating protection on my asus a7n8x deluxe mobo. I reinstalled the hsf with more thermal paste, and now its running at a cool 47 C compared to 80 C the first time i put it in. Now, when i chose linux or windows when i boot up, it will freeze. The hdd light doesnt blink and the only thing i can do is restart. I tried restsetting the bios defaults but that didnt work either.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Try resetting the cmos via the jumper on the motherboard, disconnect power supply to motherboard first.

At 80C you could have ruined the cpu :eek:

3. ThroatPunch

i know what you mean. i was thinking i could have screwed up the cpu, but my mobo has a monitor that shuts the comp down before something can go wrong, i hope? well i know it has it, just hope it worked. anyway, ill look in my mobo manual for howto jump the cmos. ill relpy back to let you know what happens.thanks.

4. ThroatPunch

well i tried that. and seems to do the same thing.

5. ~Candy~

Do you even have a chance to hit the F 8 key? What appears on the screen? Do we get memory count? Does it find hard drives? Can you accesss the bios setup at all?

6. ThroatPunch

yeah. i can get into bios and it detects everything. the motherboard says, system check......blah blah, ok, now booting from operating system. and then because i have 2 oses, i can choose what i want. then i pick windows. it asks what i want to do because windows didnt start up correctly(safe mode, normal mode,......) but they all freeze when i pick any of them.

7. ~Candy~

Safe mode freezes? How about a step by step?

Or what happens when you boot to a dos prompt, can you see a directory on the drives?

8. ThroatPunch

i dont even know how to boot to dos. i could try a boot disk and see what that does, but i dont know what to do from there.

9. ~Candy~

Safe/normal mode that you mentioned before, should have other options there too, one of them being a command prompt or step by step, or safe command prompt.

10. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Using the boot disk:
    From DOS at the
    A:> prompt type:
    C:
    From
    C:> type:
    Dir

11. ThroatPunch

when i try to get into safe mode or command prompt, it starts to load the certain files(multi(0)...........) and then just stops on one. i believe the file is mup.sys, but i dont know if that is the reason.

12. bassetman

Do you have a "Start-up" disk that you know works?

13. ThroatPunch

a windows xp installation disk?

14. bassetman

No, a "rescue disk" or "Start Disk" that was created by an XP program.
    If not you can download one from the Net.

15. bassetman

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169723

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice