1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't boot into normal, safe mode. Booting off XP cdrom gives me error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by perplexed_one, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. perplexed_one

perplexed_one Thread Starter

Hi

So suddenly my sister's desktop gives out. She has been known to have hundreds of movies, and downloads without care. So Im not certain if it is a virus issue (I installed Antivir for her)

anyways when i try to boot up, windows goes into a screen where the different ways of booting up (i.e. safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, normal, etc.) I try normal mode, the screen freezes up. One of the times I try normal mode it switches to a blue screen (which I can only assume is b.s.o.d.) and quickly restarts the computer before I can read any of the text.

I try the other boot up options with the computer loading up some bootup files and just freezing.

I put in the xp cd i have and restart the computer. Doesn't automatically boot off disk so I have to go into F8. Try it there, brings me to windows setup, I press "any key", gives me "unxpected error (1610547380) occurred at line 1768 in d:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\arcdisp.c. Press any key to continue" I press a key and the computer restarts to no avail.

Please and thank you for your helpings. :eek:

2. JPCompHelp

JPCompHelp

Set your BIOS to boot off the CD-ROM first.

3. perplexed_one

did that already.

4. padutch

padutch

one option would be to download ubcd4win and make a boot cd. with this cd you can boot and operate from the cd rom and it contains many programs that may help fix your problem. It's a great program to have. It has chkdsk , antivirus programs , malware program and many other tools that you can run and it is totally free.You can also enter your C drive from it and access your files.You can use regreswiz.exe under Registry Tools. This is system restore You will also have internet access.
    Dutch

5. JPCompHelp

JPCompHelp

If it doesn't boot off disc automatically then pressing F8 is only going to bring up the safe boot menu. Check your disc.

6. perplexed_one

nothing wrong with my disc. I formatted my laptop with this CD.

does anyone know anything about the error I listed?

7. JPCompHelp

JPCompHelp

8. perplexed_one

hi

it worked. I had three ram pieces. I tried one ram piece and it gave me some screeching noise and the pc didnt even boot up. Then I tried it with another and it booted up.

question: so if one ram piece is faulty that affects the whole computer even though there are two other fully functional ram pieces (each 512mb I might add)?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/847795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice