1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't boot into Win XP-computer frozen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Broderfund, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Broderfund

Broderfund Thread Starter

I have a custom built computer with an Intel core 2 quad, Asus P5Q MB, 4GB mem, Seagate 500 GB drive, using Win XP Pro, SP3. It's been working fine, but suddenly this morning the dreaded window opened that starts "We apologize for the inconvenience......etc." Then lists several possible ways to start Windows, including "Start Windows Normally". However, the screen is frozen - non of the arrow keys do anything, everything is frozen - nothing happens,

Any ideas?

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

If you are using a USB keyboard, try a standard ps2 keyboard and it should allow you to select any of the various options offered in the Advanced Boot Options screen that you are getting.

3. Broderfund

Thanks, but I'm using a standard PS2 keyboard.

4. surferdude2

surferdude2

Ouch, not good news.

Try generating your own Advanced Boot ptions screen by pressing the F8 key repeatedly during boot up. If it still freezes up, you may have a hardware issue so try unplugging all peripherals (scanner, printer, camera, usb drives, whatever) and try booting without them.

Your problem sounds a lot like a basic MOBO issue, which isn't good news. Why I say this is, generally the video won't lock at any boot screen if the basic MOBO video is working.

5. Broderfund

Thanks for all your suggestions. I tried them all, but no luck. Today I finally reluctantly took it in to the local computer repair service. They wiped the hard disk clean and re-installed Windows. Hope all is well now.
    Thanks again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973283

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice