Can't boot into Windows anymore (at least, with GRUB)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MicahReallyNeedsHelp

Hello, and thank you for reading this.

I have a Dell Latitude E5470 running Windows 10 Pro with a 256 GB M.2 SSD. I recently was trying to install a Linux operating system (Deepin) onto a 1TB HDD that I acquired. I shrunk the Windows partition (it still had plenty of space), and made a separate partition on the same internal hard drive, for installing the new OS onto, so later I could copy the new OS onto the HDD (the USB), because it could not install to itself (I only had access to 1 external drive at the time so I had to get creative). So I installed it, booted into the new OS (it is important to note that the OS installed its own boot loader, so if I turned on the laptop, it would go to the Deepin boot loader and I would choose which OS to boot into, if I didn't it would default to Deepin). It was all fine, so I booted into windows so I could copy the partition, because I thought I knew how to. I didn't, so I ended up deleting the partition with the new OS, adding that space back to the Windows partition. I also made a partition to install the new OS onto (my great new idea) the USB drive, so some of the drive was the installer, some of it was where the installer was supposed to install. Anyway, that didnt work, so I decided to boot back into Windows. This is where the real trouble starts. Whenever turn on the laptop (without booting into a USB), I get a command prompt/error saying:

error: no such partition.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

I have done tons of research on this, trying to fix it, but none of the tutorials I have tried have worked. NONE. I have tried changing the GRUB boot and prefix, doesnt work. However, and this is a sortof good sign, GRUB shows 3 partitions on the internal SSD, the one Im having trouble with. There were in fact 3 partitions, a system one, a windows one, and some weird other one that Im not sure what it does. I have tried booting into a windows installer USB stick and changing some stuff in the command prompt under troubleshoot. I have tried marking the windows partition as a boot partition in the drive partition table through booting into raspbian (I now am typing this on an old laptop I am using to do research on). Nothing has fixed it.

I was thinking maybe the problem is that GRUB is there with only one partition, so I was trying to delete it's files, but I cant because I cant seem to mount the partition.

I took some pictures, find them here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/n3ca7TMg9adp15bQ7

So if anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it, as this laptop has irreplaceable files on it, and is my daily driver.

Thanks!
MicahReallyNeedsHelp

Re-install the Linux. Maybe it will pickup Windows and setup the bootloader to use it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online