1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Can't boot into Windows or Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jak834, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jak834

jak834 Thread Starter

Can't boot into either on Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit. SFC and chkdsk ran and didn't find anything. I made a Repair Disk from an ISO and it came back, This version of System Recovery Options not compatible with this version of Windows.
    Of course, System Restore was turned off on the friend's comp. Tried Last Good Configuration, with no luck.
    Ran the Repair option on the 7 Recovery page but it said it couldn't repair.

Somewhere I saw, "Windows Installations 0". Is that why running Repair disk comes back "This version of System Recovery Options not compatible with this version of Windows." ?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Try this

3. jak834

jak834 Thread Starter

Before I get to that diskpart; (or maybe I need to do it first. Let me know.)

After many attempts the computer finally booted from the Repair disk! But I've run it about 4 times now with restarts and still won't go to desktop or Safe Mode.

One time the System Recovery Options box showed Win 7 location as C:
    The next time it showed it as F: This last time it's showing it at E:
    Each of those was labeled as the Local Disk.
    I think there's 2 hdds on board. One smaller; ssd?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  4. jak834

jak834 Thread Starter

Doing another Repair cycle and this time after the repair it looked like it was going to boot into Windows.
    But this message came up:
    Win 7 user profile service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.
    And then it froze on Logging Off.

5. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    If you are able to start in safe mode or with the repair disk then perform the following steps:

Once at command prompt type the following and hit enter.

net user administrator /active:yes

This will make the built in admin account active and should allow you to login to that account. Once you are logged in then you can create a new user account and copy your files to the new account. Let me know if you need more guidance or have any questions.

6. jak834

jak834 Thread Starter

Thanks! Did that and it came back, "User Profile Service service failed to logon. User profile cannot be loaded." And then it went to Logging Off.

Forgot to mention a friend stopped by a few days ago and tried some options using Diskpart and BCD. Don't know exactly what.

7. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    After you ran the command. Did you restart and then try logging in to the Administrator account?

8. jak834

jak834 Thread Starter

Yes restarted. But it very slowly gets back to the logon page where it just says the "User Profile Service service failed to logon. User profile cannot be loaded."

9. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Are you restarting in Safe Mode? If not try that next and see if you can login to the Administrator account. You did not set a password so leave it blank.

10. jak834

jak834 Thread Starter

No access to Safe Mode. Loads files and shows Safe Mode border but no icons, start.

11. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Sounds like you have other issues then. Do you have a backup of your files or need anything off the computer?

12. jak834

jak834 Thread Starter

She has all of her data backed up. Was just hoping to have access to all of her photography programs without reloading. We'll just reload Windows. Thanks.

13. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Okay good luck. Let us know if anything else.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice