1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't boot manufacturer's repair environment.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by inlineadam, Sep 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. inlineadam

inlineadam Thread Starter

Hello everyone, i have come here because my laptop is officially driving me nuts.

To get to the point, basically it's been freezing and things and so i'm trying to re-install things.

The Laptop ( Advent Roma 3000 ) came with a built in, manufacturers repair environment. In this environment you have several options, such as start-up repair, restore etc. It also had an option " Re-install windows ". It is in this environment you access " re-install windows " where you can advance to re-install windows using the built in environment.

However, here's the problem. For some reason, when i go to boot the manufacturers repair environment, i seem to get the standard windows one which doesn't have the option to re-install windows. I haven't a clue why it has dissapeared as i have used it before. Before anyone tells me to " hit F8, repair computer, choose language" etc, i know how i SHOULD be getting to the option to re-install.

The problem is, it's not there! It has vanished off the face of the earth and been replaced with a standard windows environment which is as useless as a broken toaster when you want to make toast.

My question is, how on earth can i get the old environment back so that i can have the option to re-install windows?

- Computer came with no CD's what so ever, as any re-installs are supposed to be done using this environment that i can't seem to access.

So thanks for reading that rabble and rant, and i dearly hope that anyone can offer some assistance :D

Adam.

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Hi, what you are trying to use is the recovery partition. This is stored in a protected partition on the hard drive that can be used to return the system back to the same condition it was in when it left the factory.

Please explain what symptoms the PC has been showing as "it's been freezing and things" does not give a very clear picture of what has been happening.

Is it just freezing?

Or, are you also getting any BSOD's which shows a blue screen with an error message and then it quickly reboots?

Are you getting pop ups appearing when you are on-line?

Please describe all the symptoms so we can evaluate the possible cause and tell us if you made any changes, new software, etc, just prior to the problems starting.

3. inlineadam

At Random times when browsing the web or what not it just decides to freeze up, and after a while it " un freezes ".

Sometimes when i go to click on the start bar, it freezes again.

Sometimes after minimising , again it freezes.

I have everything backed up so i'm more than happy to do a re-install because it's really getting annoying.

As you said i'm trying to get to the recovery partition. According to the computer's manual you access it through " repair your computer " , choosing lanuage etc as i had mentioned originally, but it's not there anymore. It was there a few months ago because i actually done a recovery when i couldn't boot.

4. inlineadam

No pop ups or anything, i have done multiple virus/malware scans etc using various software such as AVG,Vipre,SS&D,Malwarebytes. All picked up nothing

5. Mark1956

Mark1956

I think the first thing to run a test on is the hard drive. First try the disk check routine and then if that is clean run the manufacturer's diagnostics.

6. inlineadam

Hi Mark, thanks for the response.

I am extremely reluctant to do these disk checks because it has taken me 3 hours to get logged onto this laptop today!

Everytime i booted up, i got to the log in screen, typed my password and it would start to load, and then just go black and i'd have to try again. After 100 or so attempts i eventually managed to get logged on.

To add to things, chrome is now freezing every two minutes and loading pages at a 1Kb / hour.

IT seems there is a very serious problem , my very basic computer knowledge leads me to believe it's some kind of virus, but as i'd said i've used multiple software to scan and found nothing...

Perhaps buying the recovery disks are my only option?

( Even refreshing this page to view your reply is taking 5 minutes or so.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Typically to boot to the Recovery partition you tap a key (F11, Esc, etc.) upon power on. Are you doing this? It sounded to me that you may be tapping F8, which is for the Windows boot menu.

8. inlineadam

Hi Terry.

I have been tapping F8, according the manual to access the manufacturers environment you do it through F8 - Repair computer etc. I have used this before and DID access it through F8 etc.

But this time i can't access it through F8 for some reason.

This laptop is on it's last legs, some form of recovery will have to be done soon - all be it i'm probably going to be forced to buy discs because this environment has vanished...

9. Mark1956

Mark1956

You can run the disc diagnostics without booting into windows. The instruction to make the Diagnostics disc will produce a CD that will boot the PC into DOS. Try that and see if your hard drive is healthy, the answer to that will determine what course of action to take next.

You only need to get into the Bios to change the boot order to CD 1st if it won't boot from the disc when you first try it.

10. inlineadam

Ok so the harddrive is toshiba, so i should download the seagate diagnostic thing and run it?

11. Mark1956

Mark1956

Correct.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1018178

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice