1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Can't Boot On Various Disks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spiers, Jun 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spiers

spiers Thread Starter

Hello all,

Really struggling to restore a computer which was suffering from BSOD issues. Windows 10 64bit CPU is i5 6600K OC to 4.4Ghz Graphics is GTX960

So background to the story. Computer was prebuilt from a uk computer called Yoyotech and been fine since January this year.

Few days ago, getting various BSOD with different error messages. Before i could troubleshoot they went away and the computer was fine for a week. I did memtest and sfc scannow and nothing.

Today playing a computer game, the computer kept coming up with a Windows error reporting error, after googling, it said the drivers were the problem.

I tried to update the graphics card drivers through the Geforce Experience, but it kept failing, so i downloaded it from NVIDIA website and updated via task manager. This solved the game crashing.

Later in the day, i got more BSOD to the point that it would not boot anymore with BSOD. I disabled the OC in BIOS and it seems to work, but then after login it would start BSOD again, quickly tried to view the BSOD tech info and it said ntoskrnl.exe was causing it. At work, thats usually been the graphics card drivers, which was strange because i had just updared them.

So then i do more googling and enable Windows 10 Driver verifier to try and troubleshoot, the help link suggested only loading drivers not by Microsoft. I rebooted and now all i get is BSOD stating the verifier has detected an error but does not list what. I presume its ntoskrnl.exe because this driver was not being monitored as its from Microsoft.

So not now able to boot at all i created a usb restore Windows 10. Problem is the computer BSOD when booting into this, various BSOD messages. So without being able to get into Recovery i am really struggling.

In the end i formatted my OS drive and reinstalled OS, but again BSOD on boot. I then tried another hard drive, when i boot that, blank black screen. I can press the power button on the computer and it turns off immediately making me think its not even booting into the drive.
    Both drives seemed to install fine with no errors but wont boot into Windows.

Any suggestions? I have a feeling the motherboard has gone but computer is only 6 months old.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The processor and graphics card in your gaming computer use a combined total of 211 watts.
    When you factor in the power requirements for all the other hardware and the demands of gaming, a quality power supply of sufficient wattage is needed.

What's the brand name and model number and wattage of the power supply?
    What's the brand name and model number and revision number of the motherboard?

---------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not a hardware or gaming expert, so my input here is very limited.
    Be patient and wait for one of the experts here to reply.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If it's only 6 months old you should warranty from the builder plus warranty from the individual hardware manufacturers that may be as long as 5 years, more on a few things.

I would re-test the memory again as that would be one of the more common causes. Make sure the CPU isn't overheating, temps and voltages will be listed in the BIOS.

Also moving a hard drive with an OS from another computer may not boot in a modern computer due to UEFI and Secure Boot so those second drive issues may be unrelated.

You may also want to test the original hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostics. UBCD is great for doing diagnostics and has most of the tools needed.

I'd also reset the BIOS back to defaults after that and try reinstalling Windows 10 after that.

4. spiers

spiers Thread Starter

Power Supply is Aerocool Integrator 500W
    500 Watts rated 80+ Bronze
    Model ACP-1500HG

Motherboard is MSI Z170A Gaming Pro (MS-7984)
    Under version is just says 1.

The temps after being on 30 minutes are CPU Temp 25C and Motherboard 34C.
    Sorry, with the HD, they were wiped and then all partitions removed. Then Windows was install on them using the desktop in question here. It seems to install ok, but once Windows has been installed and requires restart, thats when i get BSOD and no further.

I reset the BIOS to defaults + Flashed, which removed overclocking and over volting very early on in my diagnostics.
    With it not working on two HD, one an SSD and one normal HD i cant see it being a HD issue myself.
    That UBCD looks very interesting.. tempted to download that and run memtest+ on it overnight.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    From what I can tell it's a budget power supply, not a bad one but not a great one either. Cost wise it appears to be almost half the cost of higher quality power supplies in that wattage range. Personally it's not a unit I would recommend or use.

6. spiers

spiers Thread Starter

Thank you for your continued help.

In my old computer i have an XFX 750W but that pc is 8 years old. The PSU is about 4 years old. As it is so old will it have the required power connections? My old PC has more fans and more SATA devices including two graphics cards and a DVD drive, however im not sure if Power Supplys are universal over the years. Its stuck in a corner and from a quick look it has lots and lots of the old IDE power connectors, like 4 little circle power instead of the flat SATA one.

My new PSU has none of the old IDE power connectors. I do hope that there is enough SATA power, there must be if i had two graphics cards, 2 HD and a DVD... Would you suggest using that one? 4 years is due for a replacement or ok?

Would you suggest testing Memory first before messing with PSU using that UBCD and memtest

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Connections haven't changed in the last 4 years so it should be usable; and it can be used for testing to see if that's the problem. A quality power supply can easily last 4 years, whereas cheap ones rarely do.

The motherboard requires a 24 and 4 pin power connector really old systems only had a 20 pin, the video cards have their own 6 or 8 pin power connectors, new hard drives and optical drives use SATA power connectors on new systems but 4 pin molex connectors on older drives. A 750 watt PSU should have plenty of connectors and all the current connectors.

8. spiers

spiers Thread Starter

Just an update to this problem.
    I returned the computer to the retailer.
    The retailer tested the computer and said the CPU had failed. They replaced this part and the computer has been working ok since then.
    I will look online at where to find some good OC settings for the processor i have, as i think the default OC ones from the retailer, may have led to the CPU failing in only 6 months. Or maybe it would have failed at default settings and it was just a bad part?
    Thanks for your help.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you are concerned about failure then don't overclock it at all, overclocking is assuming the risk of failure. That said, all there is to overclocking a modern Intel K model CPU is raising the multiplier. You shouldn't be raising any bus speeds and really I wouldn't even recommend raising any voltages either; that's usually where the failure will occur from.

10. spiers

spiers Thread Starter

I have an INTEL overclock program and im sure you can download overclocks from other users. I will check to see if the voltage has been changed but im sure it has from checking before. If i do not change the voltages, does that mean the CPU will just not run if the overclock is set to high?

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You don't a program, simply go into the BIOS/UEFI and adjust the multiplier to the desired level, save and exit. There's usually a limit on the overclock a component will hit, sometimes increasing the voltage will raise that limit or make the component more stable at higher overclocks, but too much voltage will also increase temps, increase the chance of damage, and decrease the components life span.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1173513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice