1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't boot past Dell Logo Screen after Windows installed needed updates!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bunnyslippers, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bunnyslippers

bunnyslippers Thread Starter

Yesterday I installed critical/needed Windows XP updates that had been waiting on me for a few weeks behind the yellow update shield in the lower right corner of my screen. I was having problems connecting my son’s new Christmas present, Xbox Live :cool:, to the internet so I was about to restart the computer to see if maybe the router needed me to do a clean reboot after entering the Xbox’s MAC address into my allowed devices list. I stupidly thought I’d be thorough by installing those waiting updates first and then restart. All went well and when it finished and asked if I wanted to restart now I selected yes. Nothing happened. I kept trying, still no restart. Then I went to Start>Turn Off>Restart several times and each time I returned to my desktop with nothing happening. Finally I just did a cold shutdown with the power button. My son is, understandably, so upset that he can’t use his present to connect with his friends live. :(

Now my computer won’t boot up at all past the Dell splash screen. The typical churning, lights and sounds all begin and then when the Dell logo screen appears, everything goes quiet. It took me several times before I could get into my BIOS, select boot order to start with my CD, place my XP install disc into my drive and restart. Still, I can’t get past that screen and it never boots from the CD. (the CD light does go steady at “power on” like it always does but then goes off at that splash screen along with everything else. I tried to restart and immediately beginning pressing F12 to force it to boot from the CD but get the same results. This happened a couple of months ago exactly the same way and I am remembering that it took days to get the computer running again only I can’t remember how I did it. That time and this time I had a perfectly running computer until Windows installed these "needed" updates. I'm certain this has something to do with Microsoft's updates but I don't have days this time. I need immediate help.

I am currently using my daughter’s laptop to communicate online and to search for how to get it to boot so I can rollback those damn updates. Please help???

Dell Dimension 4500 1.8 GHz CPU with 1 GB RAM; Hard Drive 40 GB, Windows XP Professional running with SP3 since they released it; NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 Graphics; Farallon USB to Ethernet for Comcast cable modem and NetGear router; very clean system with all files stored on a portable 250 GB hard drive with pretty much only the operating system and installed applications on the 40 GB hard drive; 3.8 GB of available hard drive space and I recently (about 8 days ago) used Piriform’s defraggler as well as CCleaner to tidy up my system. All junk files had been removed and all temp folders had been emptied. I always run Malaware Bytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, and I use Avast Anti-virus. My system is very clean.

Thanks!

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

pop disc in to do a repair installation, some dells have this as an option inbuilt

try hitting f8 on start up to access safe mode if you get in the type msconfig in the run box go to start up remove everything for now
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

3. bunnyslippers

bunnyslippers Thread Starter

Thanks Mike,
    I have my original genuine XP Professional disc and tried to put that in for repair. I am able to get into BIOS to select boot order but it never does anything from the disc. It has the 2nd repair partition which does no good if I can't get far enough to select it.

I made a UBCD4Win hoping to get on but it won't boot from this disc either.

I hit F8 and nothing happens. I try hitting F8 immediately on startup repeatedly, nothing happens. F12 repeatedly doesn't work either. Ctl held down and F11 then releasing both (option in Dell to enter recovery) didn't work. F2 or Del works to get into BIOS only sometimes - but can do it. F4 and F10 do nothing.

At one point I was able to change the BIOS to show post messages rather than Dell Logo. It stops with something checked being bad and then asks me to del for setup to fix the date/time which all of the sudden are reset to zero. I fix that, when it reboots, it stalls after verifying/identifying/recognizing? my CD and DVD drive. It just sits there and stops even if disc is in the CD or DVD drives (for recovery as I mentioned above.)

Technically, my mind would read this thread and immediately say "oh, their power source or motherboard is bad....or they need to replace their CMOS battery....." But I know that's not it because this happened immediately after installing Windows updates and restarting. Something the updates did is conflicting with what is in my BIOS configuration???? I don't think it even looked at the registry that early in the boot....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970789

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice