1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't boot PC up after long use

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dmcg69, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmcg69

dmcg69 Thread Starter

Hi there,

I am having a problem with my pc where if i use the PC for say 1 or 2 hours and then shut the PC down. I cannot start the PC back up again for the next 15minutes to 3 hours, Unless i take the side of the case off. The green LED on the motherboard seems to stay on and doesn't go out until i either remove the side of the casing or blow a portable fan into the back of the PC.

Anyone any idea what could be happening?

2. qldit

qldit

Good Evening dmcg69, you might try obtaining Everest Home, placing it in a folder on your desktop, loading it, operating it, navigating to the Computer > Sensors page and "copying and pasting" all the readings back here after the machine had been operating for a relative period.
    This will hopefully show temp and voltage readings.
    Get program here..
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

There is a possibility your processor may be running hot and soaking up when it is switched off. (Similar like a car radiator)

Cheers, qldit.

3. dmcg69

dmcg69 Thread Starter

Here we go mate, 43oc does seem quite high. Not sure if this is the norm. It as been on for about 4 hours now.

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
    Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
    Report Type Quick Report
    Computer MESH
    Generator Dave
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
    Date 2006-08-11
    Time 21:05

--------[ Sensor ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:
    Sensor Type Winbond W83697HF (ISA 290h)
    Motherboard Name Asus K8V Series

Temperatures:
    Motherboard 39 °C (102 °F)
    CPU 43 °C (109 °F)
    Maxtor 6Y120M0 46 °C (115 °F)

Cooling Fans:
    CPU 4141 RPM

Voltage Values:
    CPU Core 1.55 V
    +3.3 V 3.31 V
    +5 V 4.97 V
    +12 V 11.13 V
    +5 V Standby 4.99 V
    Debug Info F FF A3 FF
    Debug Info T 39 43 255
    Debug Info V 61 00 CF B9 B7 C5 FF (01)

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

That isn't high at all seems pretty normal...tell us all your hardware including power supply as I would bet that is the problem.

5. dmcg69

dmcg69 Thread Starter

Well the PC was built by Mesh and it came with a problem when it arrived sadly you have to report it within 2 weeks and i hadn't noticed until around 2 weeks after i got the PC.

Amd 64bit 3000+
    Asus K8V Deluxe Motherboard
    512mb ram
    140GB Sata
    128Mb Nvidia graphics card

Power supply = HEC 350LR-PT 230v 50hz Total output 350w

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It has a 2 week warranty?!?!?!?

I too think its likely the power supply or worse yet, the motherboard.

7. qldit

qldit

Good Morning Gentlemen,
    Well dmcg69, you would be aware that these sensed readings may have accuracy tolerances, but apart from that, just looking at those figures you will notice that your MB temp is 39degs which is pretty typical of your in-case temperature.
    The drive shows an expected kind of temp consistant with that kind of situation.
    You will also notice that your processor temp shows 43 degs. which is quite good.

It is interesting to see your processor fan is runing at 4100 RPM, which is probably near the top of it's speed range.
    So it is possible that if substantial load is given to the processor the cooling may be insufficient given the present in-case temperature.

Another set of readings with a stressed system taken during a burn etc., may indicate further consideration to what is happening.

Your voltages are interesting, the +5 volt is most often used for "intelligent" circuits and that kind of stuff, so it becomes critical if it fluctuates much.
    I prefer to see that voltage at +5V or better, but just consider that aspect. 4.97V is perfectly acceptable.

Your +12V rail is showing 11.13V this is close to 10% low, but considering possible tolerances and that this power is generally "grunt" for drives and fans it is not as critical as others. This kind of voltage really needs checking with a digital meter plugged to one of the drive plugs. (if you have a meter)

Summing up the readings are not all that bad and the problem is most likely not being caused by a processor overheat condition.

This kind of problem is next most often caused by the PSU, sometimes removal of the power plug from the rear of the unit and leaving it out for thirty seconds may allow the system to reboot in short order.
    This can be due to a protection device in the PSU needing to be reset.

Under either circumstance I would suggest trying another power supply of proper type as the next step.

Cheers, qldit.
    Removable hard drive caddys are good for system backups. (LOL!)

8. dmcg69

dmcg69 Thread Starter

Hi All,

I think i may try a new psu as you have said qldit, The PSU does say Pentium 4 ready, wether this is simply stating that it can also be used for Pentium 4's as well as AMD's i am unsure. Thanks for the wee report it was intresting to know! and im glad it all seems ok from the readings. As a test i might also try a spare fan i have inside the Case.

Triple6 - I was pretty disgusted by Mesh's attitude. The PC was bought with a 3 year warrenty. Any faults that happen on arrival they will pay for shipping to and from their base. But it took me a while to notice anything was wrong with it. As i had reported it outwith a 2 week period i would have had to pay postage both ways and also be responsible for any damage/loss and computerless for about 3 weeks. So i decided against it.

9. qldit

qldit

Good Evening dmcg69, be careful to get a same configuration PSU, some have different plugs.
    I do feel the problem is likely to be the PSU.
    Cheers, qldit.

10. dmcg69

dmcg69 Thread Starter

Hi there sorry to resurrect this post but does anyone know what qldit meant by the same configuration PSU. i was having a look through ebuyer and im not really sure what im looking for

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...N1YmNhdGVnb3J5X3NlYXJjaA==&cat_uid=149&stid=2 = what would i be looking for from here?

im looking to get the bare minimum as i am fixing the PC so it is sellable :) i guess i'll also need to find out its size.

Thanks!

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

I think he was referring to 20 pin vs 24 pin on the major power plug.

12. qldit

qldit

Good Morning dmcg69, yes the plug arrangements can be slightly different, as Rich says some have 20 pin plugs (for the motherboard connector) and some have 24 pins.
    In some cases a 24 pin plug may be designed to separate the extra four pins (break off)
    to produce a standard 20 pin plug.
    Some PSU's have what is referred to as a P4 kind of arrangement but this is simply having a separate 4 pin plug that plugs to a different area of the M/B.
    These 4 pin plugs were also required on some AMD systems they usually plug into the area near the processor when they are used.

Some PSU's also have another lead for the video card if required. (newer types)

Just to make things really difficult I have come across a few compaq machines with the twenty pin plug wired differently (two pins reversed) so this was a bit of a trap.

Before you fit a replacement PSU confirm the wiring is the same colours at the plug pins.

With that netsite you listed you will notice that some specs are provided under the "reviews" area for each one, but there is not much info there to allow good selection.
    Pictures of leads and stuff like that.

If yours mentions P4 type it is most likely referring to that extra 4 pin plug.
    Check if the plug required is a 20 or 24 pin before purchase as the same in your machine.
    The PSU wattage you select should not be less than your current type.

Cheers, qldit.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice