1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't boot to hard drive copy - no pagefile & drive letters confused

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by CJWertz, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CJWertz

CJWertz Thread Starter

I've seen a similar problem in this forum, but I can't find the identical problem or a solution.

Simply stated, I made a copy of my w2k hard drive using ghost and when I try to boot to it, I get an error to the effect that the page file is missing or too small. Safe mode doesn't work either.

Read on for more details. I have also posted this to Western Digital and am awaiting an answer from them.

I want to install my new drive as my master because I believe I am having errors with my existing drive.

I have a master drive (C: ) and a slave (F: ). Most of the data on the slave got there by running the drive to drive copy (not the install new drive) selection from data lifeguard (Western Digital utility).

Because I learned in the past that I cannot successfully boot from the copy made by data lifeguard, I used Norton Ghost (version 10.0) to copy from my old master to the new drive. Ghost has an option that says it can be used to install a new drive.

I'm pretty sure I kept the jumpers and physical drive locations straight through all of this. Here is where I am at. I was careful.

If I try to boot from the new drive as master with no slave, the boot fails. It tells me the paging file is missing or too small. I do not have this problem booting from my old master with no slave. In both cases the slave is physically disconnected. If I attempt safe mode with the new drive, I have the same problem.

If I boot from the new drive with the existing F: (created by a copy with data lifeguard) set up as a slave, it does boot, but things are confused. Files that are on C: appear to be on both drives. Files that should be on F: are missing. Strange things happen.

If I replace the new master with the old one, leaving the same slave in place, I see drive F: the way I think it should be!

I think windows must be remembering something about the old drive, probably in the registry, and becomes confused by it when I try to boot from the copy that ghost has made. As I said at the beginning, I have the same problem (I think) if I try to boot from the copy I made using data lifeguard disk to disk copy.

I sure don't know what to do next.

2. DVOM

DVOM

It sounds like the clone operation wasn't completely successful. I would re-clone the drive.

One common mistake people make is booting to windows with both the old drive and newly cloned drive installed. This causes problems with the new system drive activation. After cloning be sure to shut down, remove the old drive, install the new drive as master, then boot to windows. I'm not saying this is your problem but it is a common problem.

Another possible problem is if you've got a program like GoBack installed. That is guaranteed to mess the clone. If GoBack is installed, don't just shut it down, completely uninstall it.

Bottom line is I'd re-clone the drive and see what you get.

3. CJWertz

CJWertz Thread Starter

Because someone here did try to help me, I will post my resolution here. Maybe it will help someone else someday.

Windows has a default setting in control panel --> folder options --> view called "hide protected operating system files. This is not the same as "show hidden files."

It appears this prevented ghost from copying pagefile.sys. When I tried to boot from the clone alone, I really had no page file. I guess that when I booted with new and old mounted, it found the page file on the old drive and used it, but became confused which drive was which in the process.

Wow! It was a lot of honking around and digging to get there.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Interesting, that is a gross oversight by GHOST, I can't imagine how it copies a while bunch of system files if it looks at that flag! :confused:

5. CJWertz

CJWertz Thread Starter

I guess I must agree with John Will.

The only thing I know is that when I did the ghost copy without changing the setting, I could not boot from the copy and when I changed that one thing it worked for me.

I figured it had to be some simple silly thing. It was hard to track it down.

What can I say.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have used GHOST 2003 in the past to clone drives as well as do image backups and restores. I had issues with it recognizing USB devices, but it normally managed to boot from the cloned copies. I have no experience with newer GHOST versions since they bought the program it's not based on and renamed it GHOST. It's a totally different package than GHOST 2003 and earlier.

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Like John, I use an older version that actually does a straight copy.

The newer versions were changed to 'intelligently'???? modify the boot and the registry, and to omit certain files like the pagefile.

One tip is not to use Ghost from within Windows. Also do NOT boot from the new copy with the old one visible.

8. CJWertz

CJWertz Thread Starter

While I was in the process of searching for answers, I did come across references to a knowledge base article to the effect that MS "knows" about a problem that prevents the Windows 2000 recovery console from seeing pagefile.sys unless you do some extra honking around. Maybe there is a connection here. Maybe there is some connection to what I put myself through. If I ever undertake something like this again, I surely remember all this and also Dave's advice.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/628929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice