1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't boot to OS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ThroatPunch, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThroatPunch

ThroatPunch Thread Starter

Well, I had a thread with this problem before, but i have an update and would like to start a new thread. The deal is that when I try to boot into any os or try to install a new os, the computer locks somewhere during the process. So I was told that it was the hard drive from a tech guy, so i RMAed my hard drive only to get it and it did the same thing. So now, im not sure what the problem is. It has to be something hardware related, right? The hard drive is new. I tried setting the BIOS defaults. What else is there to do? and how can i find out if it is a hardware problem?

2. mobo

mobo

Have you looked at the possibility of it being a ram issue ? Can you swap in and out some ram.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sounds like it could be RAM or a setup issue. First, try going into the BIOS and loading the SETUP/Optimal/Performance or BIOS defaults, Save and Exit.

If that doesn't work, open up the side of the case and see if you have more then one stick of RAM, if you do try removing all but one, and swap them out one by one. If you only have one stick try reseating the Stick in the slot. You can also try another stick if you have access to one. Just make sure the power is unplugged and you've grounded yourself on the case before touching the components.

Another thing you can try is to remove or unplug any cards or drives that aren't necessary for the computer to boot. The only thing a computer needs to boot is the motherboard, one stick of RAM, a video card, CPU with Fan, and a powersupply. For Windows to boot you need a Hard Drive, and to install it you of course need a CD-ROm drive. So if you have a Sound card, modem, lan card, or multiple drives unhook them. Unplug everything from the back except the Keyboad, mouse, and video as well.

Beyond that you're going to need parts to swap out and test. Faulty powersupplies, video cards, motherboards can cause this easily.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171441

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice