1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't boot to Safe Mode or Recovery Console in order to clean virus

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by my2monkeys, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. my2monkeys

my2monkeys Thread Starter

Trying to clean a Rogue Virus from Win XP. Got this Virus over the weekend which installed Security Tools 2011. I was able to boot into Safe mode and clean it using Malwarebytes. All was good for 4 days and now I've got a Virus again. This one has a different name and didn't actually install any icons, but I'm not actually sure that its a different Virus. I googled the name of this virus and it shows as an Alias to the virus I got this weekend. So, did I not successfully remove it or did I just get it again?

I guess that doesn't matter much at this point, because I need help removing the one thats here now. I ran a full scan with Microsoft Security Essentials yesterday and it showed that it had removed a Rogue: Win32/Winwebsec. So I thought all was good. I continued using the interent for a couple more hours and shut it down. When I restarted it later it wouldn't boot up.

Actually it boots the first screen, where you have the option to press F1 to enter setup, etc. Well, for me, that is the only thing I can access. If I try to F8 or F10 the screen goes black, the white curser starts like it normally would, drops down a few lines and then stops. It just sits there and blinks. At that point no keys work, not even ctrl+alt+del, so the only way to shut down is by button.

My pc is almost 6 years old and didn't come with any disks and of course I dont recall burning a copy as suggested. Even if I did make the XP Recovery CD, I don't have it anymore, or its may be in storage, which is 440 miles away.

So how do I remove this virus if I can't boot in to safe mode? How do I try to do a System Restore if I can't boot?

I do have the capability to slave the drive and hopefully be able to access it to backup or transfer my data files prior to wiping the drive. But....I have a question regarding doing that as I am not sure of one thing. If I slave the infected drive, will it corrupt the master drive in any way?

Please help

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975867

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice