1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't boot to windows black screen with cursor

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by whitfam, Sep 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitfam

whitfam Thread Starter

I cannot boot to windows 7. When I turn my computer on I get a single post beep. Then I get a black screen with a white courser on the top left screen. I have tried many things to troubleshoot this problem. I have removed all usb devices. I have removed each device inside the computer such as dvd and blu ray player. I have re seated the RAM and reset the cmos battery. I have used different sata cables to drives. I have also tried to boot to cdrom and try to recover windows using the windows 7 cd. After trying all this it still results in a black screen with a white courser.

I am running a Gigabyte 990xa-ud3 mobo
    AMD FX 8150 8 core processor
    4x4 16 gb corsair vengeance 1600 MHz RAM
    Evga N560 GTX video card
    lg blu ray player

Unfortunately I do not have many replacement parts to see if the hardware is the problem. I did try my old video card and that did nothing.
    Any advice would be helpful.
    Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you tried to boot to cdrom what disk was in the drive, are you sure it is bootable, and are you sure that the computer really tried to boot to it?

3. whitfam

whitfam Thread Starter

it was the windows 7 install cd. I have used it to boot and reload windows before. I changed the boot priorities to cdrom first. Technically I dont think it tried to boot to cd because it usually says press any key to boot to cd which i never got the option to do. just a black screen with a courser.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1133657

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice