1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Boot Up from Copied New Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joshjpang, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joshjpang

joshjpang Thread Starter

Hey Guys, thanks for all your help in advance.

1. I bought, installed, partitioned, and formatted a new 100GB hard drive to Drive (H).
    2. I copied the contents of my old 80GB hard drive (C) to the new 100GB hard drive using Norton Ghost via USB 2.0 enclosure.
    3. When I installed the new 100GB hard drive into the chasis, it won't boot up and it says...

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected book disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check Winds documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manual for additional information."

I put my old hard drive back into the and it booted up fine.

This is what disk management says:
    Local Disk (C) - Partition - Basic - NTFS - Healthy (system) - (this is the old 80GB)
    Local Disk (H) - Partition - Basic - NTFS - Healthy (active) - (this is the new 100GB)

How do I get my new hard drive to boot up? :(

Thanks a lot!

2. KingCody

KingCody

do a full format, then perform a fresh install of your operating system, then copy the non-system files you want from your old drive (don't use ghost)

the operating system that you copied to the new drive (via ghost) was set up for your original hardware, you changed a major hardware component, and tried to use the old settings, that is where your problem lies.

if you insist on using the new drive with the ghost image (even though it is not recommended), you can try to boot from your Windows CD and choose repair, that should update your system files to work with the new hardware.

3. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

Ive imaged drives in this way with no problems.
    Make sure the new drive is detected in the bios and is the first to boot, failing that, re-image from the old drive, and try again.

If you have all the software needed, then the best thing to do is as KingCody says, 'do a full format, then perform a fresh install of your operating system, then copy the non-system files you want from your old drive'

4. joshjpang

joshjpang Thread Starter

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the super fast help.

I'll try what Rob said first because that seems to be quicker... if it doesn't work, I'll do what Cody said (since that's more bulletproof). Also, if I use Norton Ghost, and it does sucessfully work, should I still reinstall Windows?

I updated my signature, notice the new hard-drive (yes I'm that confident that your advice will work :D )

Cheers!

5. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

If it works then Windows should run with no probs, so shouldnt need reinstalling

6. joshjpang

joshjpang Thread Starter

I tried using Norton Ghost again, this type selecting an option called "Copy MBR" which copies the master boot record from the old drive to the new drive.

After copying, removing the old drive from the chasis, and inserting the new drive, the same problem occurred (see Windows error message above).

I got my Windows CD and tried to reinstall Windows to see if this would fix the problem. It did not. The new Windows installation did a separate Windows install without merging my exisiting settings, favorites, and My Documents together.

Right now, I'm going to try Norton Ghost one last time. This time without enabling the "Set Drive Active (for booting OS)" option for the new destination drive.

If this does not work, I don't know. I really appreciate Cody's tip, but I have a lot of files such as Outlook emails, programs, and other personalized stuff that may not be worth the effort and time of transferring.

I hope this last Norton Ghost try will work. Any suggestions guys?

7. agpilot

agpilot

Hello Josh: I didn't study the other posts too close but "maybe" you could do a clean install on that newer empty drive and once working, plug the older "C" drive back in also but into the slave position as "D" and then copy your personal files over.

just a quick suggestion.. agpilot

8. KingCody

KingCody

That's why I told you to repair windows, not install... when you install, windows formats the drive first, but if you already have an existing OS on the drive, then you can choose the repair option, which will simply over-write the existing system files to match your current harware, it will not format or erase your other non-system files.

so if you remain insistent on using your ghosted drive, then use norton to copy the image on the new drive like you did before, then install the new drive, and boot the machine from the windows CD, choose install, and after a couple of screens, it will notify you that there is already an installation of wondows on the drive, it will give you the option to repair the existing installation, or to perform a clean install... choose repair

9. joshjpang

joshjpang Thread Starter

That makes sense... I'm an idiot for sure. I should change my level of Experience from Intermediate to Idiot :D

10. dobbelina

dobbelina

Read this topic: (scroll down for comments).
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Q_20983648.html
    You're probably gonna need to do a fresh install for it to work, you see you need the usb driver to load the OS.
    Your BIOS must support booting from a USB drive and you need to enable legesy support for USB in the BIOS. If the BIOS supports it you will have an option to select USB External HD as the first boot device. If it isn't an option then your BIOS doesn't support it. It may be possible to update to a later version that does support it.

11. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

RE: this post.
    I Missed your point that you were using a usb enclosure.
    The way I ghost drives is to physically connect both drives to an ide cable as master & slave, boot from a ghost recovery floppy disk, then literally just copy drive to drive.
    This way is probably the easiest and quickest way for you.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice