1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't boot up from hard drive or disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jgraves, Oct 18, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jgraves

jgraves Thread Starter

upon startup the fans start, hard drive starts spinning and cd light flashes slowly. The hard drive stops (light quits blinking),but the boot sequence has not started on the monitor. Also the cd light quits blinking at this time. I have tried taking the sound card,modem,and video card out of the pci slots and booting up and nothing happens. This problem started when a friend moved this machine from one house to another.
    I am lost on what to try!! PLEASE HELP

2. Chris A

Chris A

Are you getting any Beeps? Have you tried reseating the memory, CPU, I would check all of your connections again. Do the fans stop when the drives do..

3. jgraves

jgraves Thread Starter

Thank you for a quick response. Yes I have tried reseatin memory and cpu, and no I do not get any beeps. I have checked all connections twice. The fans do not stop when the drive does. Any ideas??

4. Chris A

Chris A

Are you familiar with the bios? if you are you may want to try and clear it. Remember with ATX boards it must be unplugged..

5. jgraves

jgraves Thread Starter

I do know bios as far as software setup, but with hardware I am not that familiar. I am sure I can remove and reinstall it on the motherboard if that will not damage anything.You say you can clear it? Is this without having to remove it from motherboard. The motherboard has FC CE on it and an Award PCI/PNP 686 chip in it.

6. Chris A

Chris A

Unplug it and remove the battery from the motherboard.. That will clear your CMOS settings.. Then at boot time go straight into the bios and hit restore defaults. Save and exit..

7. jgraves

jgraves Thread Starter

I tried unpluging battery and booting back up but still nothing comes on monitor and hard disk starts spinning and then quits and cd light flashes and hard disk light has a blink about evrey 3 seconds. I still hear no beeps.

8. that ray guy

that ray guy

what's up? is nothing showing up on the moniter? if not, you may want to try another moniter if you can get your hands on one.

9. Chris A

Chris A

jgraves, Unplug the computer. <- You have to do this. Then pull the battery count to 60. Put the battery back in and start it up.. Sorry if I was unclear in the previous post.

10. jgraves

jgraves Thread Starter

I unpluged batt. for 60 secs. and put it back in and powered up. Nothing came up on monitor (monitor works for sure) and I got a beep that last for about 3 secs. every 3 or 4 secs. That was all I could get out of this guy. I appreciate your response.

11. Chris A

Chris A

Ok here is a place that will tell you what the beep codes mean here You will need to go to the Award bios tab on the left and best match up what yours seems to be doing..

Sounds like the memory might not be seated right. Or the Video card is bad..

Anyway when you get this going again you will need to go straight into the Bios and find Restore defaults. That will get your drives working again..

12. jgraves

jgraves Thread Starter

Chris A
    thank you for the link. You are a gentleman and a scholar!! I think I can handle it from here. Once again. THANKS!!

13. kellyr

kellyr

also sounds to me like memory not seated good, I have had the very same problem, also if only one chip, be sure its in the right slot, hope thats all it is.
    Kelly R Graves

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/34097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice