can't boot up from Win 98 SE CD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LiLJay

When I try to boot from my hard drive, it begins to load Win98 and then it goes back to DOS and says "Type the name of the command interpreter."

I tried to boot from Win 98 CD and it says it cannot read or write to drive C.

Is this a problem with my hard drive?

Thanks!

It may be a problem with the hard drive not being detected, the master boot record or even more likely with the partition information being corrupted, possibly by a virus.

Try booting with a startup disk. When you get to the a:\> prompt enter:

fdisk /status

is the size and partition information for your hard drive shown correctly?

If you allow the startup disk to boot with cd-rom support, watch to see what letter gets assigned the "ram drive". If it is 'c' and not 'd', your hard drive is not even being detected.

See also...

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000012.htm

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online