1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't boot up G4

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by bretwalda007, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bretwalda007

bretwalda007 Thread Starter

I've just been given a used G4. I've hooked it up to monitor and keyboard and turned it on. It makes the crashing chimes sound, then I just get a blanAk white screen on the monitor. I've tried booting it from an E-mac start-up disc and all that happens is now I get an apple logo and the spinning clock hands. this is as far as I get. It just stays like this infinitum. I've tried booting it from other discs, norton and techtool, but just the same. I've tried holding down the c key while restarting - no effect. Any ideas?

2. macdudenj

macdudenj

The system software is corrupt or you have hard drive failure. If techtool is unable to boot it is probably the hard drive. You would need The G4 operating software to check the OS. They are made specifically for each machine. Try to get the system disk from the person who gave you the computer. Otherwise, OS disks are freely available on ebay and apple resellers. Make sure the OS disk is for your G4.

3. bretwalda007

It was the hard drive. Or rather it wasn't cos I opened it up and the hard drive had been removed! I've got a replacement on order. How easy is it to put in?

4. macdudenj

macdudenj

It is easy to replace the hard drive. Just flip the handle on the side and open the case. The hard drive bay is on the bottom right. Just plug in the ribbon cable and the small cable supply and screw the hard drive in place. Check this link.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=31292

5. bretwalda007

Brilliant! Cheers for that - it's exactly what I was looking for.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice