can't boot up XP- stop 0x00000024 blue screen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

erb

I plugged my blackeberry into my computer - it has a new battery, though I don't know why that made a difference - and my computer crashed immediately. After the intel screen it brought me to a black screen with choice to reboot in safe mode, etc. No matter what option I chose, I was unsuccessful - just kept coming back to that screen. After troubleshooting I found my way to the blue screen with the error message stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8AFFA800, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000) and that I should disable virus protection etc. BUT, I can't get my OS to boot, so that is not helpful!

I inserted my xp disc but don't know how to get the system to boot from that. Any help with simple instructions would be most appreciated! Many thanks in advance. :) erb

erb

well, i had read that page earlier even though it was for win2k, in case it would apply. But it is either too advanced for me to grasp, or it just won't work that way. I can't get into the system since it just keeps restarting, so how can i check even if i am on NTFS (which i think i am) or FAT let alone go beyond that? I have unplugged all external items except for the keyboard and monitor, but i haven't disconnected any internal drives.

I have figured out how to get to the bios(?) screen, and set it up to boot from the cd. I got the recovery console, but i bwasn't sure what to do from there.

any other ideas??? thanks. erb

erb

well, i can get into the BIOS and boot from CD. I thought I would try the recovery but i don't use a password to get into xp - no user accounts and I have no idea what the admin password is. i tried to leave it blank and also made a few guesses, but nothing was recognized. Any ideas of what to try next?

many thanks...

erb

Did you read and try instructions in link I posted earlier?

Not sure why you need a password, but that is something we cannot help with here.

erb

well, by now i have read the link you provided (sorry I missed that earlier!) and while I downloaded the NTFS boot disk - i don't have a floppy drive - just a cd/dvd. So...

i did get onto the Recovery Console of my xp disc and put in the correct password, but got stuck where i need to enter w which windows installation I want to log onto. it only recognized 1 which is the D drive and I couldn't figure out how to get it to check the C drive.

I feel like I keep making a bit of progress and then hit a deadend. Ideas on what to do next, please?

thanks again!

Do you know if the drive where Windows is installed on is any good?

erb

I think the drive is fine - but how can i be sure? I thought that was part of what I was trying to find out... it is calling for the D drive and i can't remember what that is on my computer! I have the C drive, of course, where I have XP installed, and another hard drive that I think is E where I keep some misc files, them my cd/dvd drives are F and G, I have a zip drive - that may be the D drive...

I continue to suspect that the problem was caused by my blackberry phone, because the crash came immediately when I plugged it in and I had been having problems with my phone. Part of why i connected it was to resync the contact list - much of which had been lost when the phone's battery died...

thanks for your continued thoughts on helping me through this!

erb

per the instructions: Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
what do I type in when it askes which windows installation I want to long onto??? the only thing i seem to be able to get it 1: D:\windows

erb

i typed in c prompt and then chkdsk /r and it is running through it. sorry if i am very dense about all of this! fingers crossed I will get some good information out of this....

erb

it worked!!! and windows is starting up. THANK YOU. do you think I should run any particular utilities to prevent this from happening again?

No need there was like a jolt to the hard drive which caused issue and checkdisk fixed it!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online