1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant Boot Up XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KeithF40, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KeithF40

KeithF40 Thread Starter

I just clean installed XP Pro on my hard drive for maintenance reasons and now just after I finished installing SP2 and all the drivers and installing Office XP it stalls at the splash screen. I successfully rebooted after installing Office XP and then left my computer on for about a couple hours. Then I decided to turn it off to plug in my second hard drive which ive successfully booted up with it connected and then it stalled at the splash screen. The bars go across but it never boots up. I then unplugged the second hard drive thinking maybe somehow that started to create some confliction but I still cant boot XP Pro off my Western Digital SATA 120 GB Caviar hard drive with the SATA power cable and I also tried leaving my computer completely turned off along with the power supply off for a couple hours to see if that would remedy the situation.

2. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Probably full of virii and trojans if you didn't update those first. Did you add SP2 from a CD or from a download? Is it an OEM recovery disc install, OEM Master CD install, or do you have the XP CD?

Satying on-line when you don't have to is fatal. (FBI)

3. KeithF40

KeithF40 Thread Starter

I cant be full of and viruses or trojans cause all I did was load the software off the cds and Im very safe when it comes to that first of all. I have the real XP CD and downloaded SP2 from Windows Update. If I boot off of my other hard drive which is a Western Digital 20 GB IDE 5600 RPM drive I can access all the data from the hard drive that I cant boot up off of. The hard drive that I can boot up off of is running Windows 2000 Professional SP4.

4. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Can you boot to the XP CD and run chkdsk from the Recovery Console?

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you are going to run chkdsk from the Recovery Console, you might as well include the /p switch which "Does an exhaustive check of the drive and corrects any errors"

Another command you can try is Fixboot

If neither of these works, you might try doing a repair install.

6. KeithF40

KeithF40 Thread Starter

Ive had this problem before and then after a couple weeks of using my laptop it fixed itself but now its back. I decided that since this is the second time this has happened maybe something is wrong with the drive and since I just reinstalled its not that big of a deal to reinstall again. I RMAed the hard drive since Im still under warranty and will continue running off my second hard drive now until my new one comes in. Also I can just backup all the data that I recently added to my hard drive to my new hard drive because I dont have to send my hard drive back until I get my new hard drive.

7. hell520

hell520

I have just installed SP2 on Windows XP Pro and am having the same problem, windows loads but wont go pass the splash screen before the login screen, i am still able to move the mouse so it has not frozen, any idea's??

8. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

If you suspect that the drive is bad boot to the recovery console and type: chkdsk /r , which should recover any bad areas.

Before downloading SP2 how much free-space did you have on the drive?

If you get back to the desktop and can install Diskeeper 9 professional then you can use the in-built Frag-Shield program to see if the MFT(s) are big enough and you can also run a boottime defrag session to defragment the MFT(s) and the paging file.

When SP2 arrived I made a slipstreamed XPSP2 CD using AutoStreamer 1ยท0 and re-partitioned, full formatted, re-installed, updated, imaged the drive, and made an ASR backup, so that I wouldn't have to do all that installing all over again.

You tend to get a cleaner installation that way.

Have you deleted all of the old $NTUninstaller$ files from C:\Windows to clear some space, and deleted all of their entries in add-remove programs?

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

KeithF40,

If you have had this problem in the past, and if you think the drive is bad, I would just replace it. Typically running chkdsk will fix them for a time. But as you see, it is only temporary. Drives usually don't get better, they get worse. Returning the drive, especially since you have another one for the time being, seems like the prudent thing to do.

10. KeithF40

KeithF40 Thread Starter

Great info guys. I have a 120 GB hard drive so space is never going to be an issue. I have Diskeeper 8 installed and ran that in regular mode but have not done what you said. Would you recommend actually installing the SP2 updates as I dont think they have gone over all to well with people.

11. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

I think you can upgrade from DK8 to DK9.

I would say that you'll have to find a way to get SP2 on the drive sometime in the fairly near future. Best to see if all of your software is going to be compatible.

If you have an up-to-date drive image to restore to then you can always see what happens, and if it goes wrong just format and restore.

I decided to start over with a clean install of XPSP2 to a 10240Mb drive C: and re-image the drive.

So far, fingers crossed, I haven't had a problem.

Certainly all the newer machines which have automatic updates turned on, and recent software, seem to update on their own OK, I just wish that I had one.

12. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

It has computed new sizes and no longer shows the C: drive MFT as being 99% full as you can see from the screen shot.

Attached Files:

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

KeithF40,

Glad you got another, and hopefully larger, drive.

I would install and let things settle down.

As far as SP2, might double check with Microsoft's site to make sure there are no issues with any of your hardware.

Otherwise realize that the people that have installed it and have it working fine are not likely to post that information on too many forums. It's only the problems you will hear about.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice