1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Boot up.....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by captsparrow, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. captsparrow

captsparrow Thread Starter

When trying to boot up, we get the DOS format asking which drive we want to boot from. Whatever we enter it just takes us to a blank screen. At one point it prompted us to put in the system disc. It went through it's list of checks and asked to F3 quit, R Repair or recover. All three options brought us back to a blank screen.

This is my wifes puter. Gateway...Windows XP...

2. norton850

norton850

What are the choices when you are asked what drive to boot from?

3. physician

physician

Wondering if you have a hardware malfunction - maybe a hard drive gone. Can you check this or will you have to go to the shop? You can check all your cables plugged in tight with the computer turned off, cards in tight, RAM snug, power fan working, cpu fan working, but it sounds like you may have either a dead hard drive or a corrupt registry. If you can - try to reinstall the OS. If the hard drive is dead, you can't. If it is OK and the registry is corrupt - it will detect the other OS and ask you if you want to reinstall (reformat) or repair. If the registry is corrupt, then repair is a viable option. Do you have any backup devices or disks? With XP, after repair you can try system restore...doc

4. captsparrow

Last nite it it was indicating a corrupt file. This morning when i try to boot up, it says "Press any key to boot from cd". This is when I have the OS disc in. When you press any button it goes to a blank , dark screen. When I boot w/o the disc in, it just goes to the dark screen.

5. captsparrow

can't re-install anything.........screen stays blank.

6. captsparrow

Also.......assuming it is my hard drive......and this would be the second one in 2 years, Are Gateway pc compatible with any other brand hardware. They always try to sell you their junk for compatiblity reasons but it is JUNK!

7. physician

physician

Gateway doesnt build their own hard drives, but they may be low bid. Is the hard drive out of warranty? I have all western digital drives and they last for years - havent had one go out so far and own five desktops. Can you hear the hard drive spinning up and down when you boot up? They usually make some strange noises when they go out I have read (never experienced it myself thank God)...doc

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325824

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice