1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't boot Win XP Pro, Master Boot Record, MBR

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dbetbadal, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbetbadal

dbetbadal Thread Starter

My computer doesn't boot. When I turn it on it gets past the bios, but it can't find the boot record. It looks through all available hardware, but nothing. Then is says to push any key to continue, but it keeps saying it can't find the boot record. Over and over.
    I have 2 SATA drive set at RAID 0. I tried using the Win XP cd rom to backdoor the operating system and get into Windows and use the system recovery to go back a week or something, but it didn't work when I got to the Recovery prompt. It was like it couldn't find the command to let me get into the c prompt part.

I don't want to reinstall windows because I have files in the hard drives I don't want to lose.

Please help me fix my computer.

Thanks

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Dbetbadal
    Welcome to TSG!
    Try this:
    If you have the Winxp install disc insert it into drive. When it start select the R option. Once to recovery console type the following....
    1) FIXBOOT C:
    2) FIXMBR

If you are successful in rebuilding the Master Boot Record and still have problems with XP itself you can always do a repair of the installation following the instructions listed at this Website

Take care and keep us posted to your progress

Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice