1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Boot Windows / Blue Screen

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by MHSCodeMaster, Jan 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MHSCodeMaster

MHSCodeMaster Thread Starter

About a week ago, my computer started acting stupid. I can boot into Windows, unless it's into Safe Mode, or I got into "Step-By-Step Confirmination". (When I do, I allow everything to be loaded, so I don't understand why it can load by itself!)

If I do nothing, The computer tries to start up, but right before it show the GUI, it gives the following error message on a blue screen...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    An error has occured. You may,

* Press Enter to return to Windows, or

* Press CTRL+Alt+Delete to reboot your computer...

Error: OE : 018F : BFF7B018
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, Enter does nothing, and I have to power my computer off and back on. Here are the specs of my computer...

Processor: Intel Celeron 566 MHz

RAM: 64 MB

2. brianF

brianF

use msconfig to stop all background programs from loading at startup.
    Does the error go away.
    I would suspect an antivirus program as they are known to cause similiar errors.

3. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Use System Restore to roll your computer back to a date before the error started occuring. You need to do a on-line scan for virus, trojan or variant before you do, please see below.

To start System Restore, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. Or, in the Help and Support main screen, click Use System Restore under Fix a problem.

Get free Zone Alarm personal firewall anti-hacker countermeasure from http://www.zonelabs.com. (not the demo) Don't let anything out to the Internet you don't know what it is.

Update your antivirus, temporarily disable your screen saver and scan with your anti-virus set to scan All Files. Update and scan bi-monthly. Create your anti-virus' Rescue disk(s) and update them after each Windows anti-virus update.

You can scan on-line to double-check your Windows scanner at http://housecall.antivirus.com

4. MHSCodeMaster

MHSCodeMaster Thread Starter

Thank you, brianF! I concluded that it is my Norton Auto=protect. See, I recently disabled it from loaded auto-protect on boot-up. However, it also disabled boot-up! Anyway, If I turn off auto=protect, I can't boot. I'll call Symantec labs and ***** at them about it. Thanks for your help!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice