1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't boot windows dual booting ubuntu

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by connerlr, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. connerlr

connerlr Thread Starter

So I dual booted my laptop with ubuntu a while back and had no problems. But when I tried to do the same for a friend I somehow managed to get to the point where i can no longer boot into windows(10). The ubuntu install in fine and usable but there's no boot menu that prompts which OS to boot into and the one time there was a boot menu windows wasn't there. Only an ubuntu/advanced ubuntu and 2 options called something to the effect of a memory test. I deleted 2 partitions in order to be able to dual boot ubuntu which was a recover partition and another partition with about 500mb of space. I'm assuming the latter was the partition with the windows boot on it. The large partition with his files on it is still there. What's the easiest way to get back into windows?

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Yep....never delete partitions with out knowing what they are and whats on them.

You may be able to recreate the MBR using some 3rd party partition software or using the install media to recreate the MBR.

NOTE: It's never a good idea to dual boot Winidows and Linux on the same HDD....as the Grub overrides the MBR and you have to jump through hoops to boot into windows if you delete the Linux OS.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you are able to repair the (Windows) boot as bassfisher6522 advised then you can probably add a boot of Ubuntu using (the free) EasyBCD.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1177143

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice