1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't boot Windows even in Safe Mode. Weird lines on screen

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by miba54, Sep 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. miba54

miba54 Thread Starter

Hi everyone.

So my computer has been on the fritz for the last couple of days. I can't boot the Windows installation on my D drive which is my main installation. However, I can boot Windows on my C drive without any issues.

I should add that the D drive is a faster and less-used disk. I recently installed Windows on it because I was afraid that my old drive (C) might die on me any second.

What is the issue?
    Can't boot into Windows. Can't even see the "Windows starting" screen with the Windows logo. After the motherboard splash screen, I get a black screen with some blue and purple lines at the top of the screen. But the lights on my keyboard and my mouse go on which normally happens when I get to the Welcome screen. I can't boot into Safe Mode either. I get the same lines at the top of the screen. I've attached some screenshots so you can see for yourselves what they look like. Maybe they might help you understand what the problem is.

What have I tried?

- Uninstalling graphics card driver using Display Driver Uninstaller. (This isn't the first time that I've had this issue with my computer. Whenever this problem started, I would uninstall my graphics driver, re-install it, and that would fix it, so before not being able to boot into Windows at all, I uninstalled my graphics card driver but this time it didn't take.)
    - Boot into Windows via C drive, run CMD as administrator, chkdsk /f D:
    - Boot into Windows via C drive, run CMD as administrator, chkdsk /r D:
    - Boot into Windows via C drive, run CMD as administrator, sfc /scannow /offwindir=d:\windows /offbootdir=d:\
    - Boot into Windows via C drive, go to Computer, open up drive D's properties, go to Tools, run Error Checking with both boxes ticked
    - Run CMD through System Recovery Options, chkdsk /f D:
    - Run CMD through System Recovery Options, chkdsk /r D:
    - Run CMD through System Recovery Options, sfc /scannow /offwindir=d:\windows /offbootdir=d:\
    - Reset BIOS to Fail-Safe Defaults.
    - Boot into Windows via C drive, run Disk Defragmenter. The D drive was only 2% fragmented. So I didn't bother defragging it.
    - Re-seated cables and hardware.
    - Tried every option in Advanced Boot Options.

All the chkdsk tests completed successfully. They all fixed some stuff but they didn't solve the issue.

The sfc test was a bit weird. Normally, it gives you a percentage and says the verification has started. But for me, it only said "Beginning system scan. This will take some time." I waited for around 10 minutes, then it said "No integrity issues found." So, make of that what you will. Did it even work? I'm not sure. Because normally it shows you the progress.

I couldn't restore the system to an earlier build because apparently I had System Restore disabled all this time.

I didn't make any hardware changes prior to this issue.

What could be causing this? How could I solve it? Any input is appreciated.

20180922_015902.jpg 20180922_020238.jpg 20180922_020314.jpg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

How are you making the change to boot from a different drive ?

Please post a screenshot of Disk Management, expand the window so all the details are visible.

3. miba54

miba54 Thread Starter

I make the change through BIOS. I give boot priority to drive C through the boot menu.

I'm uploading a screenshot of Disk Management. My Windows isn't in English but I'll tell you what it says.

Disk 0 - Basic, Online
    System Reserved - Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)
    (C) - Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

Disk 1 - Basic, Online
    (D) - Healthy (Active, Primary Partition)

disk.PNG

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Thanks for the translation.

I think what's happened is all the boot up files are on the C drive so when you switch to boot D in the Bios it can't find those files.

I would disconnect the C drive by removing the cables from the drive and re-install Windows onto D, that way all the needed files will be on D and it should then boot into Windows when selected in the Bios, even after C is re-connected.

I'm not sure if there is another problem causing the lines on the screen, we can look at that later if it still happens after you do the above.

5. miba54

miba54 Thread Starter

Thank you for getting back to me. That sounds plausible, however, I installed Windows 7 on drive D six months ago and I've been using it with no problems since then. Why would the files get mixed up all of a sudden? Is that possible?

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    So you used the Bios to select drive D and it booted straight into windows with no other selection by you ?

You can test my idea by disconnecting C then trying to boot D.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice