1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't boot Windows XP, locks up, can't safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mc1csmo, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mc1csmo

mc1csmo Thread Starter

I have desktop pc with windows xp sp2 and I'm having trouble getting to the login screen. First let me say that I have rudementary knowledge, and by saying that I mean that you will really need to explain things like you are talking to a child. I have just enough tech know-how to really get myself into trouble.

SO I tried to login today and my pc locked up. I did a power down and upon restart it stayed on the Windows XP screen endlessly, so I powered down again. This time I got to the screen where it said that something went wrong and I needed to choose to either enter safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, start form last working config or start windows as normal.

None of these work. If I do as normal, I'm back at the endless Windows XP screen. If I try any of the others I get a full screen of this:

multi(6)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows32\drivers..... After the .... there's many different options on the screen, lots of different things but all have that text proceeding it.

I can't get to a command prompt to type in some of the things I've seen I need to try from various searches. I can't get to a safe mode to anything that way. I can't get to a login in any way shape or form.

So...my next step was booting from the windows disc. I tried this, and nothing happens at all. It's not reading the disc at all, so it's not sending me to a screen where I have a choice to reinstall windows or repair, etc.

I'm not sure what other info you might need but PLEASE be detailed and handle me with kid gloves. A lot of things you might suggest I might not fully understand so please be plain and specific and give me step by step directions.

MUCH Appreciated!!!!!

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Do you know how to get into the BIOS setup in order to select the boot sequence? If you provide the model of your computer we could look it up...But, it needs to be set to recognize the CD as the primary boot to use it to repair things..

3. mc1csmo

mc1csmo Thread Starter

I thought it was F8 but it didn't work. Can you direct me with detailed steps? Thx

My PC is not a specific model like Gateway or Dell, it's a gaming rig that was built for with that in mind, so it's a custom job.

Here's what it's got:

AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 Windsor 2.8GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor Model ADAFX62CSBOX
    ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
    SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD400LJ 400GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    SONY 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write Black IDE Model DRU120C
    EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP
    CORSAIR XMS2 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Desktop Memory Model CM2X1024-5400C4

Thanks!

4. djlera

djlera

i have the same issue, but I have a laptop. so allow me to listen in....:rolleyes:

5. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    It varies on different machines. Some will indicate which key to hit to get into the BIOS setup at the initial boot before the machine goes into Windows. (Sometimes there's a line that says hit this or that key to enter setup.) On some machines it's the 'delete' key, other machines it could be F2, or F12, or even the esc key. Try those and see if you can enter the setup. Once you get there make the CDrom the first boot device.

6. djlera

djlera

I´ve gotten that far,(for me F2) but I`m note sure what to do with the XP cd. I get it to load and then i can either reinstall or recover an installation... I`m afraid to reinstall for loosing all my programs and documents and recovering doesn`t seem to work. A note: I am using an XP professional disk and I have XP home installed. bad idea?
    thanks!

7. djlera

djlera

driver/mup.sys

is the last thing that loads or appears to load before my safe mode freezes....

8. mc1csmo

mc1csmo Thread Starter

I'll check this as soon as I get home and report back. I hope you guys also check back over the weekend. Thanks in advance for the help!

9. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    djlera do you have the XP home CD? In regards to the XP CD, it should give you the option of repairing the current OS. That should all happen before you get into safe mode.

10. mc1csmo

mc1csmo Thread Starter

I got into the BIOS, changed the order of the boot to optical first instead of HDD, and then tried to do a recovery with the disc. I typed R for repair and it sent me to a the recovery screen but ONLY gave me an option to type exit and restart, at which point I loaded to the screen that had safe mode and last working config options. I tried the config and now I'm on the eternal windows xp screen again. What did I do wrong. ?

11. Flags

Flags

12. mc1csmo

mc1csmo Thread Starter

Ok tried this again and got to the point when I'm supposed to click Repair but instead there's a step ahead of it. It gives me the option to choose between 2 partitions I have. One is very tiny, only 8 mb. The other is huge. The only option from here is the install and I'm worried that this will overwrite and do a real install. I don't get a repair option like the steps suggest. What do do???

13. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Are you referring to what Flags posted? There is a repair function within the setup part..

14. Event3horizon

Event3horizon Banned

consult this much better resource to run the xp repair: http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm

if you do it exactly like this don't worry about your files they wont be touched.

Make sure you remove third party hardware and components to see if they are not conflicting with windows. Personally this is something possibily wrong with your hard drive. I would run a chkdsk /r in the recovery console. Simply boot from the xp cd, press R, then in the black command prompt box type in chkdsk /r and wait 3 hours.

15. Flags

Flags

mc1: Confusing ain't it? You are supposed to continue as if you're going to reinstall XP on the larger of the two partitions (your original C: drive).
    The process will load some files and finally you will get a screen offering a Repair option. That's when you select it.
    The first Repair option gets you into the Recovery Console where you can use some commands to make specific repairs to parts of your system.
    The second Repair option takes over your machine and repairs the OS to the OOB (out of box) state.
    You may have to insert your XP disk in case of some missing file that is on the disk, but missing or corrupt in the OS on your machine.
    Bite the bullet and get on with it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702554

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice