1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't boot with USB hub

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crosby12, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crosby12

crosby12 Thread Starter

Hello,

I've recently got a few peripherals that only have USB connections (camera, printer, mouse). I only have 1 USB post on the back of my computer (HP Pavilion 8150C). I bought a 4-port USB hub, thinking this would solve my dilemma, but I can't boot the computer when the hub is attached.

Computer turns on fine, goes to the blue "Hewlett-Packard" screen and sits there. Nothing, nada, zilch. No boot to windows.

HP Pavilion 8750C, winXP Home, 512MB ram, pent. III

Any suggestions? If this is a bios problem, I'm going to need step by step instructions on what to do.

Thank you in advance for any help!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There were a few DELL model's that had trouble booting with a specific printer attached through the USB because it had a card reader(I think) that the system tried to boot from; that was fixed by a BIOS update with those models.

A few things to try:
    Connect only the HUB, and no devices to it.
    Try connecting the devices one at a time, then in pairs if the first works.

In the BIOS, press F2 or DEL or F10 on bootup, and find the boot order/settings. Set up the boot order only has the Hard drive (IDE-0, HDD) in the boot order and nothing else.

Another issue may be power. Some older chipsets don't always put out enough power if you are using a non-powered USB hub.

Lastly, USB ports are always in pairs, is there another one on the front somewhere? It might be used from something internally too.

3. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

USB hubs are supposed to have the capability of supporting up to 87 devices.
    That is in theory.
    I get calls everyday with people having trouble with devices plugged into these 4-port hub expanders.
    We plug the device directly into the single hub and viola'
    If I were you, take the 4-port back and buy a PCI card with 4 or 5 on it.

Also, on your motherboard there should be another USB connection you could wire one up to the front.

4. crosby12

crosby12 Thread Starter

i've tried the hub with no devices attached...it still gets stuck on the blue "Hewlett-Packard" screen.

not sure what you mean by "pairs". there's a usb port on the front of the machine and another one on the back. i'm trying to connect the usb hub to the port on the back of the machine.

i guess i thought this would be like connecting an extension cord to an outlet, but apparently it's not that simple.

any help is much appreciated...is it fairly easy to connect a PCI card with extra usb ports?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223484

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice