1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't boot Xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Prodigal Son, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Prodigal Son

Prodigal Son Thread Starter

Hi,

I have been using my SN95G5 for about 4 months now and i havent had many issues with it.

After the various bios update i assumed the heat issues would be fixed. When playing games (Counter strike:source at the moments full settings) the fan seems to start spinning at full speed. I expect this to be normal but on the slight occasion my computer would freeze. I put this down to the computer over heating and its a fail safe to stop the hardware from getting damaged. Am i right with this assumption because a press of the reset button and the computer reboots fine. I haven't really researched this to see if anyone else is having the same problem.

As this is quite frustrating as sometimes i am doing well then the computer freezes. To combat this i downloaded speedfan to try and see if that would help control the fan better than the bios. This didnt seem to to take control of the fan or maybe i just didnt realise as i wasnt really pushing the system.

I then downloaded SISoftware Sandra to try and benchmark my system and see if there were and memory issues that caused the cpu to work extra harder than it needed to. Midway through the bench scan of my system it froze and i couldn't do anything. The fan was running low so i assumed it wasnt over heating. I decided to reset the system when it happened. Upon reboot the system couldnt load windows xp (only operating system).

My XP cd seems to have eluded me so i have tried various boot disks so that i can try and fix the MBR but these have been unsuccessful. I have used the xp setup boot disks to try and use the recovery console but it doesnt show any operating system, just the c:/ prompt. I have tried fdisk on DOS but that shows no partition information. I have also tried ntfsreader to try and read data from the drive but this shows no data. I really hope that my drive has not been wiped, and if so how would this have happened?

I have a SATA hard drive installed on the system. I am thinking that maybe the system cant recognise the drive properly because it needs the driver file again? Am i right in thinking this? Would i need to load the SATA drivers again or wouldn't that matter as i loaded it already when i first installed windows.

I know this is a long post but please can someone help as i am out of ideas. I hope someone can come up with something before i get another copy of windows xp pro (free :)) from my Uni. I have loads of data that i really want to keep. Please help.

2. bobol

bobol

bump;
    looks like you troubleshooted near everything possible......... maybe a request to a moderator to move your thread to the hardware forum if no luck here.

3. Prodigal Son

Prodigal Son Thread Starter

How do i get the moderators to put this on the hardware forum as well?

4. bobol

bobol

bump;
    umm,.... not post there as well, - they'll simply move it there themselves and out of this forum. I believe you need to contact one, or the option maybe in your post editing area.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323123

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice