1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't browse the network when mapping a drive

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Steambc, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Steambc

Steambc Thread Starter

I've been noticing lately that when I set up a new server (could be Server 2012, 2016), and connect Windows 10 Pro workstations to the domain, if I try to map a networked drive, I can't browse the network to zero in on the source.

So although I can type in the path (For example \\server\data_e\mpn), and it will work, if I try to browse for the mpn folder on the server, I just get the spinning icon when I click the word, "Network".

Similarly, if I look in the file explorer and click on network, the network shares will not show. This has been the case on several worksites.

Can anyone steer my straight on how to get shared resources to display in the File Explorer or in the drive mapping explorer?

Thanks!

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Usually for me it's a file permission issue... have you confirmed that you have permissions to the share?

3. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Have you made sure that network discovery is on and that the network connection is set as "Domain" (if you have that) or "Private"?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232791

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice