1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't browse websites...

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by juliev, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. juliev

juliev Thread Starter

When trying to access a web page from IE if my friend types in the name of the website (ex:www.google.com) she receives an error message "cannot find server..." but if she types in the IP (216.239.59.99 ) she has no problem accessing the site so her connection seems to be working...strange... she went as far as reformatting her drive, up grading to IE 6, we have set her IE security properties to match mine... well nothing seems to work. Would any one of you have any idea what could be causing this ? She has no firewall, no router or anything that could interfer since she just formated... Thanks !

2. BillC

BillC

Want a shoot in the dark? Well, there is a new trojan called QHosts-1 that has as it's side effects: TruSecure's Cooper added that the Trojan also sets up infected machines to get all their DNS services from these EV1 servers. This can cause some applications that rely on local DNS to stop functioning properly..

I'm not suggesting that your machine is infected, but rather that the trojan may have caused a problem with your DNS.

Next thought would to try a repair on IE. Go to the Add/Remove area in your Control Panel and click on IE. Then click repair, not delete when you are given the choice. But I frankly think the problem may very well be outside your machine.

3. walkeriam

walkeriam

If pages in Internet Explorer are coming up blank then Go to START, RUN and Type in
    regsvr32 urlmon.dll and click OK. You will get an acknowledgement if registered correctly.
    Do the same for all these:
    regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
    regsvr32 msjava.dll
    regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
    regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 mshtml.dll
    regsvr32 browseui.dll

Re-start computer and see if it will work then.

Let us know if that helps.

4. cniehaus

cniehaus

I just fixed this exact thing on my home computer. :D
    Since this virus has only been in the wild since 9-30-03 you may not have a remover or anti-virus that can get rid of it. Here is how to remove it "by hand"
    Instructions and info at:
    http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=100719

**** Quote form Network Associates ****
    Manual Removal Instructions

Apply the MS03-040 patch
    Delete the following files:

%WinDir%\Help\hosts
    %WinDir%\winlog
    Set the following registry key value (Information on editing registry keys ):
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\
    Tcpip\Parameters "DataBasePath" = %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc
    Delete the following registry key value (Information on deleting registry keys ):
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\
    Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\windows "r0x"
    Reconfigure your DNS server settings as desired
    Reconfigure your Internet Explorer settings as desired
    Additional Windows ME/XP removal considerations

5. juliev

juliev Thread Starter

Hi,
    Thanks for your help, but since she just reformated her drive I doubt that this could be caused by a worm/virus... We also verified her DNS and it seems to be working properly. She will be trying Walkeriam's solution tonight and we will let you know if it helped. Thank you !

6. juliev

juliev Thread Starter

Hi, ok she just got tired of this, installed Netscape and it is working perfectly so she'll be using Netscape, but if we ever find the magic solution we will post it here so that others who has the same problem can have another solution...Thanks for your help !

7. Miz

Miz

It's because she just reformated the drive that the chances are very good she picked up that QHosts trojan.

It executes through a malicious script on web sites. There is a patch for it but if she didn't go to the Windows Update site and get all the patches for her new install but, rather, went surfing the net first, she could easily have encountered a page running that script and picked up the Trojan.

8. walkeriam

walkeriam

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169041

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice