1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Burn CD's with new Burning Software

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by sound_of_fury, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sound_of_fury

sound_of_fury Thread Starter

I recently bought the newest version of Roxio Easy CD and DVD Burning Software. I installed it on my computer and I create a project, but when I go to burn... it says that I need to insert a blank CD. The problem is I've done this already and it keeps ejecting the CD saying there is no blank CD in the drive.

I originally thought that maybe the CD Drive was malfunctioning, but when I click on My Computer and look at the CD Drives' properties, it reads that I have a blank CD in the drive.

I have tried to uninstall, reinstall, and update the driver for the hardware and that has not solved my problems.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. abhi_12345

abhi_12345

3. sound_of_fury

sound_of_fury Thread Starter

I do appreciate the help... however this did not solve the problem... I installed the software and upon burning it to CD an error message came up and said "error writing to disk". Also... in a white box it displayed "Sense data: 05 21 00"

Anymore help would be greatly appreciated.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Burning programs do not "play well" together. Was there another burning program on there and did you uninstall it before installing Roxio?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

I agree with Rich-M. Though I now have 5 or 6 installed burning programs (and some virtualized to avoid driver conflicts), Roxio was one that I could not use because it conflicted with so many other programs (and its own image since the XP and Vista burning engines are also made by Roxio).

Check any programs you have installed that may install drivers that could conflict. That would mean anything that can burn, like multimedia applications, and also programs like UltraIso, PowerIso, etc.

You may get some help by finding out what filter drivers are loaded:

Filter Drivers Infotool

Another thing to try is to use the following reg fix after uninstalling Roxio. It will remove the load for filter drivers installed by any other programs. They will then fail to work, but it may allow Roxio to function after you reinstall it. Use both reg files at the bottom.

1. click on start button, the click on run.

2. enter regedit and press enter.

3. when regedit starts, open up the following key:
    hkey_local_machine/system/currentcontrolset/control/class/
    {4d36e965-e325 -11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}.

4. after clicking on {4d36e965-e325 -11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} you should see two settings on the right-hand side:
    "upperfilters"
    "lowerfilters"
    click on each of them, press delete and click yes.

or you can download this reg file to do the same thing. Use CDGone Variant if the other didn't work or you once had Roxio, but use the other one first.

6. ethaneh

ethaneh

make sure you have a burner and make sure the ide lead is connected to the back of the burner and if it is and it still does not work try another ide lead or sata lead.

7. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

I tend to think this is a software problem, not a hardware problem. I agree with what Rich-M and Elvandil said. Even though Windows burning engines are made by Roxio, my experience has been that Roxio is garbage. I never use the built in windows burning either.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

I like the Windows burning software for one reason only and that is you can always use it in any pc to add to a cd while most burning programs offer a lot more, they all make it difficult to add to a cdr no matter what you chose when you originally burned it.

9. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

Well that's fine I guess, just not for me. CD's are so cheap I don't bother doing anything but a one-time burn, closing the CD, and I don't care if I don't fill it. Sounds like you're talking about a multi-session CD and to me, they are more trouble than they are worth, not to mention there is overhead for each burn. Like I said, they are so cheap, why bother.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

For me is more keeping like files together than worrying about spending money on cd's.

11. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

Whatever works for you. That's all that matters.

12. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

Ya, I have to disagree with Rich-M. I have not ever used a CD burning program that "makes it difficult" to add files to a CD, but I'm really not sure what he means. If he means a multisession CD, where you actually burn to the CD more than once, I find that useless. so is packet writing (any CD writing that requires a format first)

About Nero, I have Nero 7 ultra and have had it for years. Still meets ALL my needs very well.

@ beretbright

Bullshyt. The brand of CD he's using is irrelevant. No CD on the shelves today is going to cause those issues.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

I agree with Nero... and I was talking about adding to a cd that is already burned.

14. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

so ya, you are talking about a multi-session CD.(unless you're burning to a formatted CD) What's the point? Gather all the files to be burned in a temporary folder until you have enough to fill the CD, then burn the disk at-once. The problem with multi-session CD's is that many computers will only be able to read the last session burned, or they won't read them at all. Not to mention there is an overhead cost (you lose some capacity) for every session you burn. AND, the problem with packet-writing (burning to a CD that has been formatted) such as nero inCD is that they can only be read by a computer that has the same packet writing software installed on it. Both options are a pain in the..

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

You still don't get my point. I burn most cd's of files and of course I burn whatever I want onto the cd. A week later I could come across something else I want to add to the cd because it is the same type of thing. If I am on a different pc with a different burning program, it will not do it. Many times with the same program, even though I never choose to close the cd, it still won't do it. When you use the XP burning software you can always add ot a cd no matter how many pc's you use.

As for burning to a cd-rw, why would anyone do that? That defeats the whole purpose of using one.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/817700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice