1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Burn Music or Data files anymore

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by recceghost, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. recceghost

recceghost Thread Starter

Someone...help...please.

I'm not that new to the game but I have come across one that has stumped me for quite a few days now.
    I cannot copy music (mp3 to audio cd) or data files with my burner.
    I know the burner works because it still allows me to back up my movies.
    For the movie back-ups I use DVD Shrink with AnyDVD running in the back ground.
    DVD Shink uses Nero as the burning software but whenever I try to use just Nero (or Windows XP or WMP) to burn music all I get is a bunch of error ridden coasters.

WMP goes through the whole motions. Tells me my files are "ready to burn". Then when I click on "burn" it inspects/converts everything then it burns the first song but as soon as it jumps to the next one it tells me "closing" and it closes the rest of the songs. I have tried the songs in differnt oreder and even put a whole new list of songs on but still the same thing happens.

Nero goes to about 4% on the burn and then I get "Burn process failed at XXXX"

I have tried WinAmp...same end result...nothing.

I have used converters to convert mp3 to wma prior to burn but still the same result...coaster.

My Burner is set as the recordable device under its properties.

I have tried several different types of CD-R. I have always used Memorex and have not had a problem...until now.

I have been all through the options of WMP and as far as I can tell it all looks good.

I have re-installed Nero, WMP and WinAmp...a couple of times each.

I have tried some new codecs but to be honest I am not even sure which ones I should have.

Could there be a setting that I am just overlooking.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dell P3 866
    AOPEN 16x burner
    Windows XP Pro
    200gig HD (over half still free)

2. Sponsor

3. Hobbit007

Hobbit007

try musicmatch

4. recceghost

Tried it today...still the same issue

5. Hobbit007

Hobbit007

Ok its abit tricky, have u tried connecting ur rom to a mates pc just to make sure???
    Alternatively i would say that ur windows is corrupt in some way that it is not encoding properly, re-installing could be your best option...

Sorry but that is all that i can think of at this moment...

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

The DVD part of the burner still works. The CD part is another kind of animal.

7. recceghost

Well...after trying everything possible that I could think of, I did a re-install of XP Pro and still came back with the same issue that drought me to the reinstall.

I cannot burn data(Music Files, Data files, Movie files etc...) from my computer with my burner. I can however copy a movie from the original disc to a back up disc Using Shrink/Nero

I'm Stumped...???

8. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Usually the DVD burning stops and the drive will still burn CD's. In your case it is the opposite. Unfortunately, the drive appears to have a dead CD Laser while the DVD laser is fine.

Maybe one of the lense cleaning DVD's out there is worth a shot.

http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-DVD-LC-DVD-Lens-Cleaner/dp/B00000JPPI

But I would rather just put the money towards a new burner seeing as they can be had for about $35 these days.

9. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

It would be helpful if you could swap the drive out to another computer to test it.

10. recceghost

(y)
    I think that it is/was a problem with the CD laser of the burner...thanks Mysticeyes for the nudge in the right direction. I replaced the "DVD player" in my system with an old LG CD burner and all seems to be working fine with that piece of hardware. That eliminates any software concerns I might have had. I still have the same issue with the DVD Burner though(it does movies but nothing else). Any advice, websites, articles etc. on how to confirm that the laser is dead other than the fact that it is not working? Enquiring minds want to know...Thanks again to all how have helped.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/512217