1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Burn Recorded TV

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by BookJunkie44, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BookJunkie44

BookJunkie44 Thread Starter

Greetings,

I have an external TV Tuner (Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950q) and I have been recording some TV programs with it into Windows Media Centre (I have Windows Vista) consistently for a month now. For a couple weeks I was able to burn the recordings on a DvD with no problem, but now when I get to the "Review and Edit List" which used to show which recording I was burning, the list is blank and I can't go any further. I've tried clicking "Add More" and selecting the recording from "Recorded TV" - but I can't select any of my Manual Recordings, even though they do show up on this page.

My problem doesn't appear to be with the tuner -- my recordings do show up in Media Centre and I can play them, etc. The first difference I saw right before I noticed the problem was that there is no longer a still screenshot as the icon for my recordings (including the ones recorded prior to the problem) just the name.

That's the best I can do for a description -- any ideas of what's going on?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

The icon for the recorded files changed? Do they play if you click on them, or do you open them from the player?

Right-click and see in Properties what type of file it is (what program is supposed to open it).

Have you made any changes to multimedia on your machine, or installed any new player or MM programs?

3. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    What software are you using for burning? If it's the Hauppauge software, uninstall, reboot, and reinstall...then configure and test.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is nothing here that has anything to do with iso files. Those are CD images only useful for transferring the structure of one CD to another and have nothing at all to do with recording movies.

What format are the recorded videos?

5. BookJunkie44

BookJunkie44 Thread Starter

Well, the recordings do play -- but I'm playing them strictly in Windows Media Centre (before this problem, I would be able to burn a recording onto a DvD as a Data File and then, closing Media Centre, open the disc and save the files anew in the main part of my computer). If there's a way to open these files outside of Media Centre that I don't know about, that may be a step in solving the problem...

When I right click in Media Centre it doesn't give me a Properties option, and the Settings and Program Info options aren't going to help -- I really need a way to get the files (still as video files) outside of Media Centre.

I'm just using Media Centre for burning, not Hauppauge, so reinstalling isn't really going to work (at least, I don't think you can Uninstall-reinstall Media Centre with Windows Vista).

I'm actually not sure what type of file the recordings are... the ones I was able to successfully burn and transfer, I edited in Movie Maker and published as movies -- I can't remember what kind of file they were before that...

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you know where the files are? What file type are they? Do a search for one of the names or a partial name if you don't know where they are.

Are you trying to get these to play from a DVD in a normal DVD player?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice