1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant buy windows98 anymore?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by supermomwife, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. supermomwife

supermomwife Thread Starter

I just decided to upgrade my windows95 to windows98, and was told that that no longer make 98, andon top of that, to upgrade to anything higher I need 98 in my puter. Is this true?
    Thanks, Chris

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy

You should be able to find 98SE many places...

The local independant computer shop near me has it...
    a quick search on Google should turn up a source

not sure if you can go straight from 95 to XP but more than likely a machine running 95 would be marginal at best for XP anyway

buck

3. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

They don't sell 98 anymore, unless you get it from Ebay or a computer store that has had it in stock for awhile. After June it won't be supported by Microsoft anyway.

You don't need 98, but MS has already scheduled the dates when products released just months ago will not be supported!
    They are forcing users to switch to XP,and any comp running 95 doesn't have the power to run XP (probably).
    They are really screwing users here. I have used 3.1, 95, 2000, and XP and 98 SE is by far my favorite. XP can not do anything I can't do in 98, but MS is more or less forcing us to buy a whole new system or no longer get tech help, patches, fixes or software.
    (I am learning a bit of linux, but the penguin would be living hell for my mom and brother).

4. supermomwife

thanks so much for the reply, here is another stupid question, can you run windows98SE without having the first 98 edition installed? thanks, Chris

5. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

No, you don't need the 1st edition.

6. supermomwife

Thanks so much everyone for your help. Hubby is going to go out now to see if he can find windows98SE

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Thats ton's of windows 98's out there. The place where i work has about 2 dozen copies of windows 95 originally packaged and we buy and sell windows 98 weekly. Windows 98 won't vanish because Microsoft wants it to.

8. rugrat

rugrat

9. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Did they change that? I could have sworn its life was over June, 2003. Maybe I was thinking of whatever ended in 2002 with 98. Confusing with 3 different parts of the phase out process.

10. grandpa stev

grandpa stev

I find win 98 disks for sale at computer shows for $20.- $30.00

11. grybeard22

grybeard22

gee how many you want....lets see I think I have about 3 here and a few unopened 95's and lets see...oh ya some 3.1 hey and even a copy of beos!...lol

sorry just couldnt resist

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118986

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice