1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't change boot order in BIOS

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Ariena, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ariena

Ariena Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I have an old Dell laptop that is currently running Windows XP, but I'd like to install Linux on it. So I went into the BIOS, revision A14, and got to the page that changes boot order, so I can boot from CD. It says to use the right and left arrow keys to change it, but they don't do anything. So I am stuck with having to boot from floppy which I can't do for unrelated reasons. Any ideas on why I can't change this? The keyboard works fine, I can change other settings, just not this. Or am I totally missing something? Any help would be appreciated.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Try moving to the selection you want and hit enter.
    That might give you a selection window.
    If not try + and -.
    Page up and page down also works on some.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

Or sometimes it the letters U and D, it shoudl tell you the keys to use in the screen either at the side or the top.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/781230