1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Change Boot Order

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by RandomTrebleClef, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RandomTrebleClef

RandomTrebleClef Thread Starter

Hello everyone hopefully someone can help me out with my issue .

I was having issues with my laptop and somehow ended up setting my boot device to the CD drive in BIOS . Now my computer will only boot to what is on the CD which is the program windows boot genius . if i don't have the CD in it'll repeatedly turn on and shut down unless i put the CD back in . I know i have to get back to the BIOS to change my boot device back to my HD ? but im unable to do so . F2 is my bios key but that takes me to windows boot manager where i can only select windows and it loads up to the program all over again .
    I can access task manager etc and the run window and see my files are still there though . I did a boot file test through the program and none of the files are missing and it recognizes that my PC was on windows 8.1 .

2. Sponsor

3. golddust

golddust

Sounds like something other than your boot order is wrong. As long as nothing is in the drive it should pass right by the CD drive and go to the hard drive. I keep mine in that order all the time in case I need to do an emergency repair or reinstall. Way back when, computers were set in that order by the manufacturer. Somewhere along the way, they decided to change it.

4. RandomTrebleClef

Hmm ... I dont think i changed anything else i remember making the cd drive first . It just boots and loops . well if thats the case then i dont think my HD is 2nd which is weird because i dont recall changing that. this might be dumb question but should i make a windows 8.1 CD and try to boot that and access the bios ? really dont know what else i should do here , any other suggestions .?

5. Blu_86

Blu_86

Did you try to install some type of virtual drive?

6. RandomTrebleClef

Hi Blu,
    I'm not sure if you are referring to prior to the incident or currently but to both no i was not . If i could install one i would , but when i boot & load up all i basically get is this screen with the windows boot genius program open .
    i can only use those options i cant install anything or use the charms menu etc
    should i make a windows 8.1 recovery CD ?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144873