1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant change boot order

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gambie1, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gambie1

gambie1 Thread Starter

fitted a new hard drive due to virus and want to reinstall windows but went into bios to change boot order but it wont let me it has enter in red alongside all i can do is press it it wont let me go anywhere else ,help please

2. Sponsor

3. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

try these keys to select option
    Page up/down keys
    Cursor keys
    +/- on number keypad

4. gambie1

gambie1 Thread Starter

tried them all thinking of using the other computer to reinstall windows on this hard drive and then change them over

5. LouCopits

LouCopits

On my Lenovo I can hold down F12 when I power on and get a screen to change the boot order.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

It won't boot if you install it on another machine.

Can you move around in BIOS setup at all? Are other options available?

7. gambie1

gambie1 Thread Starter

i can get to the bios but it wont let me move anywhere alongside the hard drive boot is enter in red this is the only thing i can click on and that does not do anything
    i thought if i load windows on to the new hard drive on my other computer i could then put it in the old computer will this not work??

8. padutch

padutch

you say the hard drive boot is enter in red this is the only thing i can click hope you don't mean you are trying to use your mouse in bios . Need to use arrows on keyboard and the enter tab

9. gambie1

gambie1 Thread Starter

just my way of putting it i cant move anything anywhere except to enter i have tried all keys including + - and direction keys

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/766877