Can't change default program

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jozo

Hi jozo! Give this method a try and see if you can do a chkdsk!!;);)
This is all you ever want to know about this windows tool and a lot more!!

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/
did this with no apparent results......if you look at post #42, a disc check was done a few days ago when I attempted to do an eset smart scan...........for some reason these scans are not completing and the computer freezes, forcing me to manually reboot and then a subsequent hour long disc check.

donetao

Banned
did this with no apparent results......if you look at post #42, a disc check was done a few days ago when I attempted to do an eset smart scan...........for some reason these scans are not completing and the computer freezes, forcing me to manually reboot and then a subsequent hour long disc check.
Hi jozo! IMHO you have some major problems. Derek says it's not malware!!!
You can't do a sfc /scannow and you can't do a chkdsk. It may be time to save your data and restore back to factory. I'm not sure what I'm allowed to advise here so I'm bowing out again.
I want to get this perfectly clear for the members helping you!! You can not get a chkdsk to complete or a sfc /scannow to complete?????

PS After reading your post#42 I think Eset may be connected to all your problems, but will leave this up to others to advise!! Hang in there jozo!!

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The failure of chkdsk to run on restart, when that cmd has been issued and the Y typed for the agreement to do so indicates one of two issues.

Either a registry value has been changed to remove the value on BootExecute
OR
the system files are corrupted

In view of the number of errors that are now apparent I suspect it is corruption.

Whether this is indicative of file errors due to a failing hard disk OR some other cause will require further testing.

I think it best to wait for your son to return on Thursday. If he has some knowledge he can make a Western Digital disk check tool on a usb flash pen to check on boot, without loading windows the state of the
931GB Hitachi HDS721010CLA630 SATA Disk Device
as Hitachi is now part of Western Digital

He also - using the Norton online backup which I see you have can secure important data, if he decides this is necessary.

Additionally he should be able to `repair` the windows installation and if all goes well, all your files and programs will be retained.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

You have worked hard and I congratulate you, but to attempt these procedures yourself, even with our guidance would take many hours, whereas your son, as you mention has the knowledge, and he would complete the tests and the repair if necessary, before we could hope to guide you through just one step of the process.

Good luck with it and if of course your son does need our advice we are always open.

jozo

I don't think my son can fix this after all I have done here.

Is there anything else I can do to fix this problem??

donetao

Banned
Hi! jozo! I'm risking a little here!! Please see post #35 and Macboatmasters last reply #82 if you don't want your son to help!!;);)

The only choice left now is to reinstall Windows either by accessing restore partition or buy restore disks from whoever made your computer as you have never told us anything about your computer hardware or make and model, we are helpless to help you without knowing that.

jozo

OK, some progress. Chkdsk is now running. Don't know why it didn't earlier, but I'll report back in a couple of hours.

jozo

Running really slow. Replaced bad clusters in a few files. Hope that's a good sign. Some of the bad cluster files have the same name as the file that the eset scan freezes on. I take that as a good sign. Chkdsk has been on 18% seemingly forever, though

Last edited:

donetao

Banned
Running really slow. Replaced bad clusters in a few files. Hope that's a good sign. Some of the bad cluster files have the same name as the file that the eset scan freezes on. I take that as a good sign. Chkdsk has been on 18% seemingly forever, though
Sorry jozo!! Bad clusters is not a good sign. It probably means your HD is failing. It make take hours for the chkdsk to complete. You need to think about saving your data. Also if you post your make and model like Rich suggested, maybe someone can help you with your problem better. IMHO it would be a good time to clone your drive if it is possible. Lets hope chkdsk can complete without finding to many bad clusters.;);) Do you have the restore disc??

Last edited:

jozo

So should I stop the check and backup my hd, or wait it out???? Edit, after over 2 hours, still at 19%.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online