1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't change drive letter for external drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Alleyoop11, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alleyoop11

Alleyoop11 Thread Starter

Hi, I have an Asus n61 notebook & a 1tb WD external drive connected via esata. I want my notebook to recognize the drive as G, for program pathway reasons, but as it needs to be connected before power up my system sees it as F. When I try to 'change drive letter' in Disk Management it simply says 'the parameter is incorrect'. I have never had problems assigning drive letters in XP. What is the secret in W7? :confused:
    Thanks.

2. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

) In the Computer Management window thus opened, click to expand Computer Management (Local)\Storage\Disk Management given in the left pane) Now right click the disk partition of which you want to change the drive letter and select Change Drive Letter and Path… option in the right pane

In the dialogue box thus opened click Change… button.Now select the drive letter from the dropdown list and press OK button.

3. Alleyoop11

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I wasn't sufficiently clear in my post, I know the change drive letter procedure, I've done it many times in XP, but after taking the steps as outlined in your reply & selecting my desired drive letter from the dropdown list, I click OK for the new drive letter & a dialog box comes up to say 'the parameter is incorrect'. I have no idea why the parameter would be incorrect, I have not selected a drive letter that is already taken by another connected device.

4. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

Is there another device that is already connected as the "G" drive?

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Can you post a screenshot of the Disk Management window, with the Status column widened so nothing is being hidden?

With the external connected, click Start | Run (or press WinKey+R), type diskmgmt.msc, press Enter

Hover the mouse over the dividing line between the two column headers Status and Capacity until the mouse pointer changes to this:[​IMG]then double click. The column will be sized to the largest item in the column.
    Or you can click and drag the mouse to widen or narrow the column as desired. You can drag past the edge of the window, or use the scroll bar to move the window to get a new "purchase", or to get to the right side of the last column.

How to Post a Screenshot

6. Alleyoop11

There wasn't, no. I have played around & managed to trick my system into recognizing it as G drive, but I can't count on it doing that when I really need it!

As stated above, the system is now recognizing the drive I want to see as G. My situation is unchanged however. I experimented with the flash drive & tried to change it from H to I & I had the same incorrect parameter message.

Attached Files:

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Looks OK now. Only thing I've found was if the drive was in use, say for a page file, or if a Restore Point was being created, it might give that error. Wouldn't explain the Flash Drive though. No other ideas at the moment.

8. Alleyoop11

Thanks. Fortunately I don't need to use it often & when I did need to use it last night it came up as G again so I was happy. I could also use a hub & connect my 1tb drive via USB & use a flash drive to trick my system into recognizing it as G if I had to. I would just be more comfortable if I had the option to change it manually in Disk Management. Thanks for your thoughts. :)

9. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

It may be the "HUB" that is the source of the problem.
    Some hubs are not very friendly.

You might try things with out the hub, it that works then it would appear to be the problem.

It may have helped upfront, if you had said something about using a hub.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/962945