1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't change "Dynamic" to "Basic" volume on SATA drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mulderator, Oct 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mulderator

Mulderator Thread Starter

Ok, so I got my Maxtor 300 Gig SATA Hard Drive and used the XP utility to create it. This is the first time I did that--I was so used to using Fdisk, I always did it that way in the past. Anyway, I'm using it as a data drive and followed the wizard in XP and ended up with a "Dynamic" volume instead of basic. I guess that's the default when you go through the wizard--I just kept clicling the "next" not even really paying attention to the choices as I usually do since I'm impatient! :D

Anway, I Googled and noted you need this for RAID drives and its not recognized in OS other than 2000 and XP, but is there any advantage to it? I'm not running a RAID configuration and my main OS disc is "basic". Does it matter? I can change it to basic it seems pretty easily according to MS article on it.

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi Mulder

It looks like you dont want the drive to be dynamic.

Basic vs. Dynamic

If you have properly connected the new drive to your system, then it should appear on the screen above. The first choice you will face is whether to make the drive "Basic" or "Dynamic".

Basic The standard disk type used in previous versions of Windows. Basic disks are divided into partitions and can be used with previous versions of Windows.

Dynamic An enhanced disk type for Windows 2000 that can be updated without having to restart the system (in most cases). Dynamic disks are divided into volumes.

For Windows XP and Windows 2000 users, select "Basic". However, if you are running Windows 2003 Server, you may be tempted to select "Dynamic". The Dynamic setting allows you to do Software RAID (RAID 1 mirroring or RAID 0 striping). The Dynamic setting can still be set on XP or 2000, but you lose the ability to perform tasks like Diskcopy. You can convert a Basic Disk to a Dynamic Disk and vice versa. If you upgrade to a Dynamic disk, you won't be able to boot into previous versions of Windows.

More information here at the link and at the references at the bottom of the link page.

http://www.d-silence.com/feature.php?id=246

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There is no need for you to have a dynamic disk. I would go to disk management and convert it to a basic disk.

4. Mulderator

Thanks guys.

5. Mulderator

Well, I can't change this to a basic drive--there are no choices to do so in Disk management--it shows up as dymamic--I delete the volume and it only lets me create dynamic--Could this be because it is an NCQ drive? Its a Maxtor SATA 300 16 Meg cache with NCQ.

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

Well I have never really delt with dynamic disks. I just provided the links. Did you try the following?

Changing a Dynamic Disk Back to a Basic Disk

Before you can change a dynamic disk back to a basic disk, you must delete all dynamic volumes on the disk. Once you do this, right-click the disk and select the REVERT TO BASIC DISK command. This changes the dynamic disk to a basic disk and you can then create new partitions and logical drives on the disk.

7. Mulderator

Yes--I found that instruction also and there is no such option. I'm thinking maybe because this is NCQ, there's no option, but I don't know.

8. Mulderator

Okay, I figured it out--you have to click in the "grey" area where is says "disc 0" or "disc 1". Now I swear I clicked all over the place because it you screw around with computers enough, you learn to try every kind of click everywhere and I never saw that option. I finally found it in an MS article that said:

"NOTE:You must right-click the gray area that contains the disk title on the left side of the Details pane. For example, right-click Disk 1."

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309044

9. Mulderator

Not sure though that I shouldn't keept that dynamic disc--looks pretty cool.

10. Lurker1

Lurker1

I don't know, but heres what the Maxtor site says.

"If the drive is not going to be setup in a RAID environment do not convert the drive to Dynamic. "

11. Mulderator

Yeah--to be safe I'll probably leave it basic. All I am really doing is storing video files on that drive--I don't think I'd get any advantage running a dynamic drive anyway. I can't believe I never came across this before though--before I installed this drive, I didn't even know there was such a thing as a basic and dynamic drive! :D

In fact, the only way I notice the difference is there is a different icon for the drive when you view it in My Computer so I was like, "What the hell is that?" But it was a pretty cool icon--not your "basic" icon if you will! :D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/404548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice