Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cant Change Network Connection Properties

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mikey0727 
#1 ·
I am working on someone's XP Pro SP2 Box, and I cannot change the properties of any network connection. When I right click on the connection and click properties is says "Do not have sufficient privileges, contact your administrator"

I am the Administrator, logged in as the administrator account, and the machine is not on a domain.

Any Ideas what setting could cause this, and where it is?
I wasnt even aware you could lock administrator out...

Thanks -
Mike

#3 ·
I fixed my own problem on this one, thought I should post the solution, since it was pretty hard to find:

It turns out winxp uses your COM settings to configure access to network properties.
You have to change the component services "default impersonation level" to "Identify" Somehow it got change:up: d to anonymous and that prevented me from changing network properties as Administrator.

control panel -> Administrative tools ->component services -Computers
right click on "My Computer" and hit properties
On the Default Properties tab, make sure "default impersonation level" is set to "Identify"

Hit apply, even though it said I did not have permission to change the setting, the setting changed, and the problem was solved (Bizarre)

Mikey

#5 ·
Odd as in its stupid for Microsoft to control it that way LOL.... Complication through Obfiscation...

I found that answer on MSDN KB, it is aparently intended behavior - Go figure... You can study Windows for a lifetime, and there will always be something you didnt know :)

I hope that post helps someone, If I didnt run into it, I was gonna put 50 pieces of spyware / antivirus on my comp... that wouldnt have been cool :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.