1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant Change Network Connection Properties

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mikey0727, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikey0727

mikey0727 Thread Starter

I am working on someone's XP Pro SP2 Box, and I cannot change the properties of any network connection. When I right click on the connection and click properties is says "Do not have sufficient privileges, contact your administrator"

I am the Administrator, logged in as the administrator account, and the machine is not on a domain.

Any Ideas what setting could cause this, and where it is?
    I wasnt even aware you could lock administrator out...

Thanks -
    Mike

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Permissions most likely, though if the machine is a standalone machine then it's possible its infected.

Check Group Policy / local Policy

3. mikey0727

mikey0727 Thread Starter

I fixed my own problem on this one, thought I should post the solution, since it was pretty hard to find:

It turns out winxp uses your COM settings to configure access to network properties.
    You have to change the component services "default impersonation level" to "Identify" Somehow it got change(y) d to anonymous and that prevented me from changing network properties as Administrator.

control panel -> Administrative tools ->component services -Computers
    right click on "My Computer" and hit properties
    On the Default Properties tab, make sure "default impersonation level" is set to "Identify"

Hit apply, even though it said I did not have permission to change the setting, the setting changed, and the problem was solved (Bizarre)

Mikey

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That is pretty odd. :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

5. mikey0727

mikey0727 Thread Starter

Odd as in its stupid for Microsoft to control it that way LOL.... Complication through Obfiscation...

I found that answer on MSDN KB, it is aparently intended behavior - Go figure... You can study Windows for a lifetime, and there will always be something you didnt know :)

I hope that post helps someone, If I didnt run into it, I was gonna put 50 pieces of spyware / antivirus on my comp... that wouldnt have been cool :(

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651065

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice